SWG wiring

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
Just plumbed in salt chlorinator today. I still have to run the conduit flex whip and wires to it to power it up. I have 220 v. The wiring to my pump from panel is 12 awg. What kind of wire do I use for the chlorinator? Also 12 awg? I'm assuming red, black, green insulated. What is the wire called so I know what to look for?
Thanks.

First let me say if you have not done this type of work get a professional to do it, or at the very least review your plan/work before connecting the circuit.

Do you know if the SWG is 120V or 240V? If it is 240 colors will be the exact same as your pump and I believe by code has to be on a separate breaker , if it is 120V which I think most SWGs are would be black green white, white being neutral. If your equipment is all 240 you may not have a neutral at your sub panel and if that is the case you will have to pull a white stranded 12 awg THWN from the main panel. You can't go wrong with 12awg but may be over kill for the SWG you want stranded THWN the W stands for wet locations The manual should tell you the draw and once you know that you can look up what the minimum gauge to use I suspect 14awg will work but let the manual tell you for sure.

Most SWGs come with detailed installation guides. Tell us the brand and model and we can go through the guide with you. I was just looking at the Pentair guide and while it doesn't hold your hand its should be clear to someone with the skills to do this installation.

If the installation guide is written in Greek in the electrical section then you should get some professional help.

OK you should be good to to then, same color code as the pump. I don't think stranded is required by code but it is a whole lot easier to work with and in my experience secures better with both wire nuts and lugs.

- - - Updated - - -

humm don't think the url copied correctly I get noting from it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.