New pump not working

Sep 19, 2013
Rome, GA
Bought a new pump motor today. Wired it up and ran it long enough to check for leaks. I then pumped water to waste for about 10 minutes to lower the level of water in the pool. I then turned the pump back off to move the valve back to filter. When I went to turn the pump back on - NOTHING...not even a humming sound. I wired it the same way my old pump was wired - a black wire to the L1 and L2 and the green to ground. Any thoughts at to what could have happened?

It was a long shot. No sound at all seems odd if you've ruled-out the basics already (breakers, etc). Maybe you could disconnect power, pop-off the rear cover just enough to get a wrench on the shaft to see if it's frozen somehow? Give it a couple turns. If that doesn't help, maybe it's just a bad motor off the shelf and the store will give you an exchange? Others here may have some testing tricks from the load connections to the capacitor, etc, but that's a bit past my daily DIY skills. :)

Quick update - the owner of the local pool store came out yesterday afternoon and looked at the pump. He couldn't find the problem with the pump so he wound up replacing it for me. I'm up and running now! Thanks for all the replies to my questions!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.