Light socket sealant

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
The sealant around the power cord where it comes through the housing seems to have silicon and it is not sticking to the cord anymore. What sealant should be used here that is flexible? I plan to clean mine up while the water is below the light and reseal it, I haven't filled it for the summer yet. Thanks

You're welcome. Look closely though while you have it all open. While we know sealing the inside is not recommended, some are forced to seal "around" that conduit entrance because the ground settled causing pressure on the conduit and it cracked where it connected to the niche. That's the cause of many pool leaks. Hopefully you never encounter that one. :)

Most all IG pool lights are installed in a wet niche and that niche (or hole in your pool wall) is meant to be flooded with pool water. The electrical conduit that comes into the back of the niche is likewise intended to be flooded. Do not seal up the wire that goes into that Conduit or you might never get it out when it's time to replace fixtures.

What he said. In most cases they run a #8 green ground in addition to what the regular cord has, this green wire is attached to the light niche and aquabond is used around the connector to prevent from rusting,scaling so that there is always a good ground for many years

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

My conduit started leaking so I plugged it with butyl tape. It plugs the hole but can be easily removed unlike silicone.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.