So confused, which SWG???

Jul 2, 2014
Hudson, wi
I want to switch to a SWG but there seem to be so many options where do I start.?.? I'm in the upper Midwest with a 3-4 month pool season, will the cell last longer with the reduced use? What have people had the best luck with? Thanks for the help.

The Cell will last longer the less it is used, the expected life of a cell is based on generating x amount of chlorine for x amount of hours. That is one of the reasons people suggest getting a cell larger than you need, the incremental cost of a larger system is usually low compared to having to replace the cell sooner. The other reason to go big is to reduce the amount of time you have to run your pump to generate enough chlorine. Sorry no suggestions on brand but from what I have read hard to go wrong if you stick with the major equipment manufacturers.

I have the Aqua Rite The first year the cell went out,they did give me a replacement, second year The circuit board went bad they did replace it. the rep said he's never heard of one going bad:confused: . then when it broke again I gave out I call it my $1000 thermometer. . Now I just keep the salt level at 2800 to 3100 and just use liquid chlorine. But I would like to replace it, the little time it worked it was nice. I have been looking at these Circupool Amazon has some good reviews, but I did read some that just slammed it especially customer support if you have a problem . Bottom line I'm confused also

BTW last was the first full year of using/following TFP my pool looked so good.

I've had an AquaRite AQR15 for 11 years now. I love it. In fact if the whole system died today, I'd buy another tomorrow. My first cell lasted well over 7 years, and cost $400 to replace. That makes my chlorine cost less than $57 per year, and that's for a 19,000 gallon pool that's open year-round in very sunny Tucson!

The input resistor on the main circuit board did fail at about nine years, (which is a common problem on the earlier units), but a $2.50 part and 15 minutes with a soldering iron put it right back in service. I like many others here recommend the AQR15 as a solid choice for a SWG.

Oh another advantage is, unlike several other brands, you can adjust the output in one percent increments without the need to be controlled through an automation system.

The Varistor also went out on mine I did replace it no help. I've also thought about buying a new Circuit board and cell.

If you want to get the AquaRite back in service, you should start your own thread on that topic. I'm sure there are poeple here who can help you do that. The most expensive part of the whole system is the cell, and if a controller failure is what put the system out of service, it's possible that there may be some life left in the cell.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the same boat so which did you go with? Everybody is on the Haward bandwagon it seems but I'm not sold yet. Comparing is very confusing.
Going by what you said you need, your cheapest option is staying with Jandy and replace the cell, power cord, and get the newest style of sensor.

Is there some other reason you are researching on switching brands?

If you need more information, I suggest starting your own thread.

I have a Pentair IC40 which I suspect died a year ago+ despite all green lights. I've replaced the flow switch 3 times which at $75 a pop kept me limping along but even tho I was set at 100% output, I was still pouring in bleach. Again this year cell is off (red) indicating low salt (not the problem), low temp (not the problem), bad flow switch (maybe), bad cell (most likely). Highly recommend avoiding the IC SWGs. Short warranty and short expectation of life at 3 years before you'll need to replace ($600 for cell alone). I'm debating between the Liquidator or new SWG even tho I'm loathed to spend another $G on a new setup. LQ can be had for $200 but I've read people are having problems with those. Stenner looks interesting but seems like an incredible amount of hassle. Interested in the AQR15 based on this thread, especially if the claimed longevity accurate!

I just bought mine so I'll let you know, but the reason I chose the aquarite in addition to the happy TFPers was because all the guys at the company that built my pool have that brand, they report getting up to 10 years out of the cell...and the fact that they all own them also means they're good at fixing them, but likely don't have to very often ;)

Kinda like "what kind of car does the mechanic drive." ;)

Ps...yes Virginia, there really ARE PBs who like swg ;)

I pulled the trigger on the AQR15 and installed today. Only minor hurdle was accounting for the additional space the external flow switch requires. Not a difficult install if you're already plumbed for a SWG. Such an upgrade over the Pentair garbage already with the control box being able to read temp and salt levels. Only thing I don't like about this setup is that I can't check the status of the cell at a glance, I have to open the control box and check for green lights. We'll see how it goes. Ready to set the pool back to autopilot after 2 difficult years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.