Update: Ordered my complete test kit and now have proper readings.

DrDan

Mar 23, 2016
East Tennessee
Hi:

So, I'm very new to TFP and I recently posted here: I need to be talked off the pool store ledge....

The obvious advice was to get my test kit immediately. That's what I did. It was much, much less confusing than I thought it was going to be.

Here is my pool calculator reading after putting my numbers in:

Capture.jpg

I conducted tests (perfectly according to the instructions) for FC, CC, TC, TA and CYA. Here are the direct results:

.5ppm - FC
2ppm - CC
(2.5 ppm - TC)
90 - TA
7.4 - Ph

So, my question now is. It appears that I need to SLAM. So my question is simply, does this mean I should add the bleach or cal-hypo recommendation and the stabilizer recommendation?

Apologies for the ignorance. I WILL learn this.

Thanks in advance.

DrDan

Good job Dan! One thing I would point out.... on the FC row, you have to manually enter the bleach percentage (weight). See how it shows 6% by default? You can change that to 8.25, 10, 12, etc. So keep that in mind as it will change the amount you need. A cc of 2 ppm - yes, time to SLAM. If you haven't added stabilizer yet, only add enough to get to 30 ppm so you use less bleach. Then plan for a SLAM FC target of 12 and let that SLAM roll! PH is good at 7.2-7.5 for the SLAM. You're ready. Follow the SLAM page and you'll be fine.

Good job Dan! One thing I would point out.... on the FC row, you have to manually enter the bleach percentage (weight). See how it shows 6% by default? You can change that to 8.25, 10, 12, etc. So keep that in mind as it will change the amount you need. A cc of 2 ppm - yes, time to SLAM. If you haven't added stabilizer yet, only add enough to get to 30 ppm so you use less bleach. Then plan for a SLAM FC target of 12 and let that SLAM roll! PH is good at 7.2-7.5 for the SLAM. You're ready. Follow the SLAM page and you'll be fine.

Fantastic. That's what I'm going to do.

Also, thanks for mentioning the bleach %. I bought 8.25 already so I'll need to adjust that.

Thanks!

LOVE this test kit!

Dan

I can't say whether Cal-hypo would be a good choice since you didn't test CH. Remember, low CH is okay on a vinyl pool, but high CH can still cause scale on the walls.

How did you get CYA of 10? If you look at the scale on the view tube, you'll see that as CYA decrease, the graduations get much further apart. So eyeballing 10 could actually mean you're only at 5. At any rate, just add what it says. Also remember that during a SLAM you want the pH lower because you won't be touching it for a few days and it will climb with the 90TA.

I can't say whether Cal-hypo would be a good choice since you didn't test CH. Remember, low CH is okay on a vinyl pool, but high CH can still cause scale on the walls.

How did you get CYA of 10? If you look at the scale on the view tube, you'll see that as CYA decrease, the graduations get much further apart. So eyeballing 10 could actually mean you're only at 5. At any rate, just add what it says. Also remember that during a SLAM you want the pH lower because you won't be touching it for a few days and it will climb with the 90TA.

Well this is where I'm going to show my ignorance and probably get fussed at a bit.

When I did the CYA test. I filled the view tube all the way to the top and could still barely see the black dot. So I simply estimated 10 for that.

You won't hurt my feelings, so feel free to be brutal with how I should be interpreting my results. This was literally my first test this evening--just cracked the kit.

Dan

Oh, and Dan ... next time you check CYA, make sure do test it outside on a bright sunny day, sun at your back. Tube at waist level, and after the first attempt, pour the solution back into the mixing bottle and repeat the viewing portion in the tube. Do it as much as you want to get a good average. Practice makes perfect with that one, but it must be done outside on a bright day.

Oh, and Dan ... next time you check CYA, make sure do test it outside on a bright sunny day, sun at your back. Tube at waist level, and after the first attempt, pour the solution back into the mixing bottle and repeat the viewing portion in the tube. Do it as much as you want to get a good average. Practice makes perfect with that one, but it must be done outside on a bright day.

OK, good deal. I did this one when it was not too bright outside and a little later in the evening. I'll do it mid-day.

Dan

One final question for the thread...

I have some leftover chlorine tabs that the pool store suckered me into buying before I saw the TFP light.. I hate to waste these tablets. Can I use these tablets up in daily sanitation? I realize TFP doesn't recommend tabs and I will be using liquid bleach from now on, but I don't want to just waste these tabs. I have quite a few.

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hello again Texas Splash,
I was just wondering if I could check in with you one more time. I re-tested today and got these numbers:
.5ppm - FC
1.5ppm - CC
(2 ppm - TC)
70 - TA
225 - CH
7.5 - Ph

CYA still <20 -- (the black dot was still visible, but the water was not clear.. so I'm guessing CYA is around 5 or 10.. still low)

As you suggested, I added my stabilizer sock today and I'm just waiting on that to absorb.

My plan is to wait a few days if not more to get the stablizer in. I'll retest and hope my CYA has increased. At that time. I plan on using the calculator.

One question.. when you say FC target of 12, you mean I should input 12 into the target in the calculator and use that recommendation of bleach input.

So:

Captur1e.jpg

3 gallons 1 quart of bleach all at once. Of course, after I get my CYA up a bit.

Then follow SLAM.

Is this correct?

(Sorry this is my first SLAM)

Thanks!

Dan

You ARE raising the CYA now as you said you have the sock in. It just won't show up on a test for a few days. Yes, you can start the slam. Since you just added the CYA, you could target 10FC tonight and bump to 12 tomorrow. Either way won't hurt.

Agreed, go ahead and start the SLAM now and use 12 for FC in target. Test and add more bleach several times a day, the more the better. Give the sock a squeeze while you are out there to help the CYA dissolve faster.

It looks like the folks have got you well in hand. I did notice that the info is kinda spread out over a few posts, so I would like to bring it all under one roof.
Bring CYA up to around 30. (You got that going on)
Test FC (You got this one for sure!)
Target FC at 12 in PoolMath (You got that one figured out)
Add the calculated amount in front of a return and then brush the area to ensure mixing (You'll be doing this one soon)
Wait a little while, an hour or two. Maybe do some general brushing...(Beverage handy?)
Start the cycle over at Test FC

After the FC starts to hold, you can stretch the time between cycles. But I would suggest at least test and add 4 times a day.

Once the water clears then you can proceed through the rest of the SLaM as listed here Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

It looks like the folks have got you well in hand. I did notice that the info is kinda spread out over a few posts, so I would like to bring it all under one roof.
Bring CYA up to around 30. (You got that going on)
Test FC (You got this one for sure!)
Target FC at 12 in PoolMath (You got that one figured out)
Add the calculated amount in front of a return and then brush the area to ensure mixing (You'll be doing this one soon)
Wait a little while, an hour or two. Maybe do some general brushing...(Beverage handy?)
Start the cycle over at Test FC

After the FC starts to hold, you can stretch the time between cycles. But I would suggest at least test and add 4 times a day.

Once the water clears then you can proceed through the rest of the SLaM as listed here Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thanks for summarizing! That was indeed helpful.

Just a note. I'm adding my Target FC 12 calculated amount this evening. I just wanted to note here that my water is crystal clear. The pool actually looks beautiful. Is that normal for my numbers? I suppose so?

Dan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.