Should I plumb back wash pipe

Oct 21, 2008
San Jose, Ca
Hi,

Now that I got some of my previous problems solved with the help of this forum, I'm looking to connect the backwash output of my filter to a drain. It currently dumps all the back wash onto the concrete pad that all the pool equipment sits on. The question I have is should I also route the filter's plug to the drain. For example, lead the backwash pipe to the back of the filter where the plug is. Add a basket/gutter of some sort so when I remove the plug, the waste can drop straight in. Then continue the connection to my sewer drain. Here's a pic of my current setup, which I inherited.

ftp://cadenlc.net/Push Pull Valve.jpg

Needless to say, it gets very wet, messy and dangerous when I backwash or clean out the filter.

Thx.
-Rich

The ftp site asks for a userid and password when I try to view those pictures.

I'd highly recommend plumbing the backwash line. It's a good idea to add a sight glass to the line so you can see when you are done and also so you'll notice if there is flow there when there isn't supposed to be.

Plumbing a drain for the filter drain would be nice, but it's hard to say if it would be worth it. My equipment is indoors, and I put a drain in the floor near the filter. I only drain the filter once a year, so I can deal with a little water then.

At a minimum, get a backwash hose so all the backwash water isn't at your feet, but plumbing it to a drain is better still. My filter drain plug is not plumbed to a drain - I only empty it a couple of times a year max, and can deal with a filter tank full of water. I couldn't backwash right at my feet, though...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.