Larger Intex Strainer/Inlet Needed????????

Sep 26, 2015
Friendswood Tx
I started off with a new Intex 15' x 48" circle pool last summer. It came with the smallest pump, 637R, which pumped around 1,000 gph (I think). I installed a much larger pump - Intex 633T, which pumps 2,500 gph.

I'm going to purchase an Intex skimmer which attaches to 1 of the 2 strainers where the water leaves the pool to be filtered.

My question is this: Should I also purchase the larger strainer and larger inlet covers to replace the smaller ones that came with the pool and smaller pump? The water is churning in the pool now, but I worry that the smaller ones will somehow harm the filter motor if they are restricting the flow in any way.

I am not sure what size yours currently has, I used the same ones that came with the 18' Ultra Frame pool that I have. I have a 1HP Hayward pump ... With 2 inlets to your pump I don't think you will have a problem but if you could post the diameter that you currently have, I can check what my pool has to see if there is a difference.

I understand. Just take your time and use an Xacto knife and it'll be okay.

temporary_zpsvesmqnuc.jpg

But if you're going to cut a hole anyway, I'd suggest going full bore and putting in a through the wall strainer like the Hayward Dyna-skim. It'll keep your pool much cleaner, and can't be knocked off by kids playing in the pool (my problem).

temporary_zps43a4ed4a.jpg

It's really quite simple to do, and of the hundreds of us that have done it, I've never heard of anyone ruining their pool.

temporary_zpsf993e78a.jpg

P.S. - If you do decide to do this, don't do like I did and put it right over the existing outlet. In hindsight, I would like to be able to put in a valve and draw from either the surface or below the surface, but as you can see, I blocked the lower outlet.

No, those aren't what I used. Here's how I did it. My Hayward came with a graduated adapter that screws into the bottom of it. If you don't have one, it should be pretty easy to find online. I just fastened a 1.5" Intex hose to it with a hose clamp.

Then I moved the valve to the other end of the hose, right before the pump. Works just fine!

temporary_zps5c695011.jpg

The cap closing off the old outlet was the cap from the backwash port on my sand filter. It doesn't really serve any purpose there other than to look pretty, so I used it for this instead.

ah, I see now. I didn't realize that the skimmer came with an adapter that would work. I've searched the threads, but most of them are pretty old and the photos don't show anymore.

Great idea to still keep the valve, just on the other end. Genius!

That's why I love this group. I'm not a huge do-it-yourself'er, but ya'll make things so simple for me! I appreciate it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.