How to open a sand filter

Jun 1, 2008
North Carolina
I am getting ready to open the pool, but I am not sure how to open my sand filter in order to fill it and take a look at the sand. I have looked all over the forum and looked at my manual. It says to replace the sand open the filter and then gives other directions. Nothing about how to get the thing open. It is a waterways clearwater sand filter. There is a large black rubber ring between all the valves and the filter body. It says tighten and loosen on it. I turned it and took out the screw but was afraid to mess with it any more. Do I just take this ring off, lift out the top part with all of the valves and then I will be able to see inside? Thanks for the help!

I'd suggest leaving it alone unless you have problems with it. The sand will last for years, and doesn't need to be changed routinely. You'll usually have to open it to fix a problem eventually, and you probably will want new sand then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.