Going nuts trying to figure this stuff out.

Apr 16, 2016
Athens, AL
We got a new liner (2 weeks ago) so basically it's a new pool. My question is do I have to slam it? I have been reading this site off and on for 3 days now and I'm sooooooo confused. The water is beautifully crystal clear, no algae at all, I shocked it with 24 ounces Hy Chlor shock once the first week and once the 2nd week, but now I want to go with bleach and baking soda and muriatic acid as my new way of treating the water.
The readings today are:
FC 0
TC 0
PH 7.8
TA 80
CH 90
CYA 30
Do not have the DPD FAS in my kit but I ordered it yesterday, I have the Leslie 81-330, that was the only pool store open on Sunday.

I took the Pucks out of the feeder after reading what they do over time, and that seems to be when the FC went to zero the next day (today), yesterday my readings were FC 1.2 and TC 2.4 and TA was 90 and PH was 7.8.

Should I wait till I get the DPD FAS in the mail and then start the slamming or do I need to slam at all if I just add what the calculator said to add which was 191 ounces of bleach at 8.25% and 16 ounces muriatic acid.

Last edited:
You don't need to SLAM with a fresh fill and a pristine liner.

Just add the bleach and acid. Dribble it in front of the return stream with the pump running and wait fifteen minutes between chemicals. Also, wear old clothes when you add stuff, and stand upwind from the acid jug when you open and pour it. If not, you'll quickly understand why I said that.

I have been reading this site off and on for 3 days now and I'm sooooooo confused.
Did it take you that long to get confused? :confused: Usually it's must faster. :) ha ha. Hang in there, it gets MUCH better quickly.

I would also like to add a couple things to your questions and what Richard said earlier:
- With a CYA of 30, your matching "target" FC is 4; so try to keep enough bleach handy to maintain an FC around 3-5. Never go below 2!
- The acid will help you keep the pH under 7.8; and removing the pucks was a very good idea right now.

You're in control now. No more pool store gimmicks or expensive bottles to buy. Bleach is your friend in the pool when used properly. Keep a copy of the Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart handy at all times.

Thanks so much, the Recommended Chemicals Link in your signature helped a lot, wish I had seen that early on. I had to walk away from it yesterday my brain was in overload...HaHa. But today I feel like hey this is doable, this site is awesome.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much, I think I'm finally "getting it."

Lady,

I am going to just throw out what I give to someone that is just starting out. You might have seen some of it already but I want you to have it all.

Print these out:

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

:hug:

Kim :cat:

You've come to the right place... my head swam for weeks, but once it sinks in, you will be an expert in no time and the envy of your friends with "pool stored" pools.

Welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.