South florida pool - finalizing contract

Apr 17, 2016
Coconut Creek/FL
Hey all,

I am new to the forum, but am loving all the advice and help I have found so far. My wife and I have debating about building a pool for quite some time now, and have finally opted to go for it. We have spoke with a few companies and have made our decision on one, I wanted to include our estimate for the pool to get your thoughts on if there is anything I am missing by chance, and if the quote seems decent. Thanks again for all your help, and looking forward to taking you all on this journey. Please see below quote:

Parkwood Pools Advantage Program
Scope of work

27’X15’ Lagoon

STRUCTURAL:
· STEEL REINFORCING THROUGHOUT STRUCTURE TO MEET
· ASTM NO.A615
· GRAVEL ROCKBASE FOUNDATION FOR DEEP END POOL SHELL
· GUNITE CONCRETE SHELL TO MEET OR EXCEED LOCAL BUILDING CODES
· MIMIMUM 8” GUNITE WALLS & FLOORS
· GUNITE STRUCTURAL PERIMETER BOND BEAM CONSTRUCTION
· PRE- BENT STEEL LOOP TIE IN’S 9” ON CENTER FOR BOND BEAM TO WALL STEEL
· GUNITE STEPS IN SHALLOW END OF POOL
· GUNITE EXTENDED BENCH IN DEEP END OF POOL (SWIMOUT)
· LIFE TIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY

PLUMBING & HYDRAULICS:

· SCHEDULE 40 NON-CORROSIVE PVC PLUMBING
· BACKFILL OF CONCRETE SHELL AND PLUMBING LINES
· ANTI-VORTEX SINGLE CHANNEL DRAIN ( NEW SAFETY DRAINS)
· INDEPENDENT POOL CLEANER LINE WITH SPRING LOADED SAFETY CAP
· AUTOMATIC WIDE MOUTH SKIMMER ENCASED IN GUNITE BEAM
· MINIMUM 3RETURN LINES FOR CIRCULATION, 3 RETURNS IN WAL FOR HEATING AND CHEMICAL CIRCULATION
· HYDROSTATIC UPLIFT VALVE WITH UNDERDRAIN STUB OUT FOR FUTURE DRAINAGE
· HOOK –UP & PRESSURE TEST PLUMBING LINES FROM FILTER TO POOL 50’ PIPE RUN
· OVERFLOW LINE FOR CONVENIENT AUTO DRAIN
· SMALL MACHINE ACCESS CUSTOMER TO SUPPLY 6’6” ACCESS

EQUIPMENT & FINISHES

· 100 WATT LIGHT, WHITE OR BLUE LENS
· 6” BAND OF CERAMIC WATERLINE TILE & BULL NOSE BRICK BORDER COPING
· JANDY CS200 CARTRIDGE FILTER WITH A 2 SPEED 2 HPJANDY PUMP TO MEET NEW 2010 BUIDING CODES
· DELUXE UPGRADE AGGREGATE POOL PLASTER FINISH
(CLI-SUNSTONE) WITH A REAL 10 YEAR WARRANTY

ELECTRIC INCLUDES:

· PLANS, PERMITS, LABOR, AND ALL MATERIALS INCLUDED. TIME CLOCKS AND LIGHT TRANSFORMERS, AND INSPECTIONS. HOOK UP TO EXISTING PANEL.
· PRE-FILTER SYSTEM TO PURIFY INITIAL START-UP WATER
(CARBON TANKS). SO YOU ARE READY TO SWIM.
· JOB SITE: CLEAN UP AFTER EACH PHASE OF CONSTRUCTION.
· COMPLETE INITIAL CHEMICALS START-UP SERVICE & OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS. (POOL SCHOOL )
· ALL NECESSARY CONSTRUCTION & FINAL INSPECTIONS REQUIRED BY MUNICIPALITY PUBLIC LIABILITY AND WORKMAN’S COMPENSATION INSURANCE
· POOL FLOATATION , CONSTRUCTION PROPERTY DAMAGE & NEGLIGENCE INSURANCE
· $1,000,000 TO $ 2,000.000 UMBRELLA INSURANCE POLICY

ANNIVERSARY CHECK UP
· COMPLETE QUALITY SYSTEM CHECK UP( POOL & EQUIPMENT )
ONE YEAR FROM COMPLETION DATE

WARRANTIES:

• Lifetime Transferrable Structural Warranty (Parkwood Pools)
  • Lifetime Filter Warranty (Jandy)
  • Lifetime Valve Warranty (Jandy) Against Leaking, Breaking, & Pressure Loss or Slip
  • 5 Year Heat Pump or Gas Heater Warranty (Jandy) (If Purchased)
  • 10 Year CLI (Sunstone) Warranty
  • Lifetime Pump Housing & 3 Year Motor Warranty (Jandy)

INCLUDES:

OVERSIZED POOL 27’X15’

SUNSHELF/ TANNING LEDGE $2,000. *** NC

2 Bubblers on sunshelf w/ Umbrella mounting device $700. ***NC

Swim Out Oversized Deep End $600. ***NC

Upgraded Jandy CS-200 Filter $900 ***NC

Over 800’Pavers Pkg includes $ 4000.00

Upgraded Jandy 2HP 2 Speed Pump $1200 ***NC

LED Programmable light show @ $1050.00 ***NC

2 Massage Therapy Jets on Swimout ***NC

Outline Steps And Benches with accent tile $500.00 ***NC

Small equipment access shuttle $600.00

YOUR PRICE WITH PAVER AND OTHER DISCOUNTS ****$25,400.00

What is the depth?
Funny they call it an over-sized pool and the volume is likely less than 10k gallons :D

$1200 for a 2-speed pump? Seems like a VS pump should cost that much.

What are you doing for a cleaner?

How about a saltwater generator? Structural footer for potential cage down the road? It says electrical to existing, but typically you have a secondary panel, which I upgraded the breaker and wires for potential future heat pump. Price seems to be in line, but with a tanning ledge it brings the size of the actual swimming area down alot. Also before I signed the deal I would get a timeframe in writing. Is this for a pool that will be ready by August, or being dug by August?

Thanks for the feedback all!!

Crazy I actually forgot to ask about the depth of the pool, I know we talked about it when he was here measuring but did not get anything in writing. Would like to keep it between 3-6 ft from shallow to deep end. He quoted be an extra $1k to make it a salt water pool, said they "were running a sale" that it typically costs $1,800. The more I read about the benefits of the salt water the more I am leaning in that direction, does an extra $1k sound fair?

I will make sure I inquire about there being a separate panel, he did say he will wire it for a pool heater for me, but said I'd be better off buying after the fact as his run around $3,800.... He did say it takes 6 weeks typically for permits and HOA approvals to come back, and that they can have the pool completed 6 weeks after they get the OK from city and HOA. Said we would be swimming by August

Do you all think the pool is going to be too small with the tanning ledge? If so any thoughts/recommendations on how we fix this? Thanks again for all your feedback!

RC-

Pool looks nice! Nice yard and view as well.

I'll second looking at a saltwater generator.

At first glance the quote seems reasonable for South Florida.

We're building further up the coast from you and I can confirm that the advice given here often to get multiple in writing quotes is really the one way to ensure your pricing is fair and inline with costs in your area. In our bid process this year our three finalists were all within 5-10% of each other apples to apples except for the decking. There seemed to be bigger discrepancies on this pricing based on their specialty and volume (paver vs. acrylic vs travertine). Maybe keep that in mind if your still thinking about your decking.

Confirm that demo of the existing patio is included in the price if that's a requirement.

Sun shelf is a personal preference (we like) and if you have kids I'm sure it will get used. If space and budget allows maybe think about bumping that area out of the main pool area more for extra swimming room though.

Also as learned here:
Confirm part numbers for the equipment.
Confirm # of lights/details on the light show line item, etc.
Confirm umbrella sleeves for sun shelf or deck area (usually a cheap cost to add)
Confirm what's excluded from the quote and your responsible for; sod, irrigation, fencing, cleaning/maintenance kits (brushes, vacuum, robot, etc) surveys, HOA submission, etc.

RC-

Pool looks nice! Nice yard and view as well.

I'll second looking at a saltwater generator.

At first glance the quote seems reasonable for South Florida.

We're building further up the coast from you and I can confirm that the advice given here often to get multiple in writing quotes is really the one way to ensure your pricing is fair and inline with costs in your area. In our bid process this year our three finalists were all within 5-10% of each other apples to apples except for the decking. There seemed to be bigger discrepancies on this pricing based on their specialty and volume (paver vs. acrylic vs travertine). Maybe keep that in mind if your still thinking about your decking.

Confirm that demo of the existing patio is included in the price if that's a requirement.

Sun shelf is a personal preference (we like) and if you have kids I'm sure it will get used. If space and budget allows maybe think about bumping that area out of the main pool area more for extra swimming room though.

Also as learned here:
Confirm part numbers for the equipment.
Confirm # of lights/details on the light show line item, etc.
Confirm umbrella sleeves for sun shelf or deck area (usually a cheap cost to add)
Confirm what's excluded from the quote and your responsible for; sod, irrigation, fencing, cleaning/maintenance kits (brushes, vacuum, robot, etc) surveys, HOA submission, etc.

What this says ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mayor Hanna? Are you after my job? LOL if so you are doing a fine job! You did a great job!

Kim (sitting back relaxing after Mayor Hanna did all of the work for me hehe) :hug:

What this says ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mayor Hanna? Are you after my job? LOL if so you are doing a fine job! You did a great job!

Kim (sitting back relaxing after Mayor Hanna did all of the work for me hehe) :hug:

No way. I was responding on the quote and decking but heard whispers in my ear which led to the rest.

I thought I give my Florida neighbors some attention as payback for all the help I've gotten but now I'm exhausted after responding :). Maybe I'll concentrate on TFP people who own pools and live within a five mile radius. You handle the rest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure that quote includes the depth you want. Many pool builder up the price for deeper a pool.and make any changes you what before you sign.Many PB give a fair qoute until you get to the nuts and bolts of what you want. I wish I would have done that. We wanted a darker finish and they charge a lot for that. Also were is your tile allowance? I had 6.00 per sq ft. Tile can get pricey. So make sure you know what you are getting there. And are the light LED? I love my LED color lights. Make sure you like the paver they are including in your qoute, if not what the charge for upgrade.just a little of the thing I learn after the fact. Anything you think you might what get a price in writing on now. And good luck with your build.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info and advice. We are going to move forward with Parkwood Pools, we signed contract yesterday and I was able to get all these questions answered. PB indicated we should get draft back from engineering sometime next week, we can than move forward with applying to HOA and ultimately the city of Coconut Creek. I kinow cities vary on approval timeline, but any of my Florida brethren out there how long did your permits take to come back?

Thanks again!!!

- - - Updated - - -

We have PB making sun shelf smaller as well. Original design was for a 12 ft long sun shelf, we are pulling back to 8 ft... We do have two small children and think the sunshelf would be great. Also, on nothing sounds better to me than relaxing on a sunshelf, drinking a beer, and listening to some Bob Marley...

- - - Updated - - -

Asking PB now how much more travertine is going to run me as well... Price includes 800 ft of pavers from a company in South FL called Gem Pavers... Not sure if I'm loving the paver look though and am starting to lean more towards the travertine look....How much extra did the travertine cost you all out there that decided to upgrade?

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great info and advice. We are going to move forward with Parkwood Pools, we signed contract yesterday and I was able to get all these questions answered. PB indicated we should get draft back from engineering sometime next week, we can than move forward with applying to HOA and ultimately the city of Coconut Creek. I kinow cities vary on approval timeline, but any of my Florida brethren out there how long did your permits take to come back?

We're waiting on permits currently:
Martin County - 3 weeks and counting...
HOA - 2 weeks and counting...

We have PB making sun shelf smaller as well. Original design was for a 12 ft long sun shelf, we are pulling back to 8 ft... We do have two small children and think the sunshelf would be great. Also, on nothing sounds better to me than relaxing on a sunshelf, drinking a beer, and listening to some Bob Marley...

My kind of pool..Marley or Matisyahu would work...

Asking PB now how much more travertine is going to run me as well... Price includes 800 ft of pavers from a company in South FL called Gem Pavers... Not sure if I'm loving the paver look though and am starting to lean more towards the travertine look....How much extra did the travertine cost you all out there that decided to upgrade?

Here are the numbers we received from the three final apples-to-apples quotes we received based on ~1100 sq.ft. decking:

PB #1
$9/sf concrete acrylic decking with footers
$13.50/sq.ft. travertine no footers

PB #2
$9.50/sf concrete acrylic decking with footers
$14/sq.ft. travertine no footers

PB #3
$9/sq.ft. travertine with no footers
$11/sq.ft. for acrylic decking with footers

Wait - they will build a pool with pavers for 25,400? With 800 sqft pavers, LED lights, swim outs and massage therapy jets? That is some deal you got. I think Florida and Arizona have the best deals. I am so jealous. In my area, PB's run away when you tell them that the budget is 30 to 40k.

I still believe that the pool cost should not exceed 10% of the cost of the house - wonder if there is some thumb rule like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.