Need advice after 15-20 inches of rain last night

SuzfromTexas

Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 7, 2015
Houston, Texas
We had a lot of rain last night and bad winds (understatement). Our pool overflowed for about 4 hours with an overflow drain to the street. We lost power from about 4:30am to about 3:30pm, so no pumps running. The water looks very murky, almost with a greenish tint - can't see the bottom even in the 4' end.

Here's what I tested:

water temp 68 degrees

FC 3 (it was 7 on Saturday)

CC .5 (what it always is)

pH 7.3 (Saturday it was 8.2 - I added MA to bring it down to 7.6)

Forecasters are predicting more rain through Thursday, but they don't expect rains like we in Houston had last night.
Pumps are running now with skimmers cleaned. So, my questions are:

1. with a SWG system, should I add bleach or let the salt cell do it's thing?

2. with more rain coming, and since I often need to add MA to my pool (she loves acid - Lol!!), should I leave the 7.3 alone? Or add some borax?

3. since I have some chlorine and the CC is at it's usual, the murky, greenish water color doesn't indicate a SLAM, does it? (sorry if this is a silly question)

4. I didn't test the other chem levels since more rain is expected. Is that correct? I'm thinking, I don't want to waste other chems if they are going to run out to the street. More than happy to go ahead and add if you guys tell me to go ahead.

Thank goodness you guys are here! Much appreciated!
Suz

I'd just try to keep it at the proper fill level and make sure the chlorine is where it should be to prevent an algae outbreak.
Adding bleach if necessary.

wither the storm and when the rainy days are over, balance everything up to proper levels again.

Hello my lovely one! What a mess that was for your area! SCARY!

I would boost the FC up to just under SLAM level with chlorine to help the SWG. Then boost your SWG a little to keep the FC up on the upper limit for your last CYA/FC reading.You want to get anything out that might have flowed in with the rain water.

I would have my water level pulled down to lowest the filter can still work.

PH-I would leave it where it is for now. See what the new rain does and go from there. It is still in the safe range.

Hugs :hug: cute huh?? Lee got it for me!

Kim

Thanks Borjis and Kim! Ok, so bring up the FC pretty high, right? On the CYA/FC chart, it says 28, so maybe 24 or so? I'm not sure how to drain the pool, but I'll check on bringing the level down. Right now, it's just at the bottom of the overflow drain.

And Kim, I LOVE the new hugging emojis!!!!

Suz

24 or so would be good. You just want to give your SWG a boost. After the next rain we will work on the total balance and see if you need to SLAM.

I have no idea how you would drain your pool LOL Mine is easy! Just open up a valve and it comes rushing out! Maybe email your PB and see what he says.

Kim :cat:

Yowzer!!!! That was a lot of bleach!!!! I guess it's kind of like the big, bad antibiotic shot for a stubborn infection.

So I poured and poured and poured the bleach in. I'll retest in an hour.

Thanks again for the help!
Suz

Suz!!! Glad you're ok, it was some kind of bad last night. I've never seen anything like it. I don't THINK mine overflowed but it's got a ton of junk in it. Hoping yours gets back to beautiful in no time!

How much bleach did you have to add? What is your CYA level?

A week ago, my CYA was 70. I haven't tested it since all the rain. I believe the pool is around 23K gallons. I added 715 oz per Pool Math to bring it up to 24 FC.

How are you and your pool doing?
Take care,
Suz

- - - Updated - - -

I tested the pool water a few minutes ago. The FC is 22 and the pH is way over 8.2. I know you (Kim) said not to worry about the pH, but I just want to make sure with it that high, I'm not going to have more problems.

Light rain over night, but not much.

Thanks!
Suz

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A week ago, my CYA was 70. I haven't tested it since all the rain. I believe the pool is around 23K gallons. I added 715 oz per Pool Math to bring it up to 24 FC.

How are you and your pool doing?Take care,
Suz

- - - Updated - - -

I tested the pool water a few minutes ago. The FC is 22 and the pH is way over 8.2. I know you (Kim) said not to worry about the pH, but I just want to make sure with it that high, I'm not going to have more problems.

Light rain over night, but not much.

Thanks!
Suz

Thanks for asking, we're fine, some serious road flooding around us, but no houses flooded.
The pool on the other hand...

Nothing really has been done except a bit of tile repair since we spoke last. Hopefully it will stop raining for a while so we can get it drained, plastered and re-filled. Kind of waiting on the plastering before doing the landscape also.
Good luck on getting your pool back to sparkly clean :) Keep us posted on how it goes!

Thanks, Kim! I will do that with the FC. I thought somewhere I read the pH test is off with high FC. The water is definitely better today. We can see the bottom and the drains in the deep end, but it's definitely not crystal clear.

Would it be ok to put Rosie in (the robot cleaner)? She's great at getting up that superfine dirt or silt-like stuff.

Suz

Last year's spring rains did wonders for my AGP up in College Station. Our water has very high TA. We had 48" last spring - just enough to almost fill a 54" pool. Our rainwater has a pH just below neutral according to some folks I talked to. We hardly got any of that rain that hit Houston less than 50 miles away (~3"). I'm not complaining too much. That was waaay too much at once. Glad you guys are OK.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.