First time pool owner -swg question

Apr 18, 2016
iowa
I'm new to the pool world and have done some research and think I have a pretty good handle on the chemistry side of things. One question I do have, if my SWG is set to run x- amount of hours a day per the pool size. Do I need to be concerned about turning it down on weeks or longer period of times when my pool will be unused ? I plan to have my pool covered and there will be a time when it goes unused for several days. My thinking says that if it is covered and unused that I will get a spike in chlorine if the swg continues to run on the normal schedule.

Welcome! :wave:

If it's covered, you won't lose much FC to sunlight, so yes, turn down the SWG% or the filter run time. Be aware that any CC that develops also won't get broken down by sunlight when it's covered, so don't be alarmed if you pull off the cover and test things and CC has jumped. It'll probably all be gone by the next day.

This is a little off topic but I have read some places, for a new pool start up you need to do a shock treatment and other places including my SWG manual to just boost the SWG for a unspecified amount of time. I have a 6000 gal pool a 1500 GPH pump and a SWG capable of 15000 gal pool and can produce 12g an HR of chlorine. Do I need to shock first because will it take to long to get the chlorine levels up ? or will my SWG take care of it ?

This is a little off topic but I have read some places, for a new pool start up you need to do a shock treatment and other places including my SWG manual to just boost the SWG for a unspecified amount of time. I have a 6000 gal pool a 1500 GPH pump and a SWG capable of 15000 gal pool and can produce 12g an HR of chlorine. Do I need to shock first because will it take to long to get the chlorine levels up ? or will my SWG take care of it ?
If you're filling it from a public water supply, there's no reason to shock it. People drink that water. They bathe in it.

We suggest people start their pools as a bleach pool and get things balanced before adding the salt. The salt dissolves for a day and you just turn on the SWG and let it carry on from there.

what order should I go about balancing things out - alkalinity-PH-Chlorine-CYA-CH-salt ?

How far off the recommended levels is my tap water going to be?

If you recommend starting with bleach what or where is the figure that tell me how much I need to add.

Sorry for all the questions, seems like its easier to get it right the first time when starting up rather than fixing a mistake.

what order should I go about balancing things out - alkalinity-PH-Chlorine-CYA-CH-salt ?

How far off the recommended levels is my tap water going to be?

If you recommend starting with bleach what or where is the figure that tell me how much I need to add.

Sorry for all the questions, seems like its easier to get it right the first time when starting up rather than fixing a mistake.
If you post your test results, we can walk you through it.

What to add and how to add it is covered in Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
How much to add is explained in Pool School - PoolMath

attachment.php

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.