So I have concluded that my CYA is higher than 100. OK to fix by adding water?

Apr 18, 2016
Mt Dora FL
So I got my test kit. Did CYA test, and it didint even get to the 100 mark, just below it so Im over 100 a bit.

I have a very small pool, 3800-4000 gallons, kidney shaped exposed aggregate. Im assuming I have an overflow valve of some sort because my pool level will only get so high. My pool guy told me he thinks I do as he had taken care of pool for years and never seen it overflow, even with hurricanes.

Here is my question, I want to get CYA down. I do not want to drain due to HOA issues and equipment issues. Is it ok to put a hose in the pool and just keep adding water for a few hours to "dilute" what is already in the pool.....lowering CYA?

No. that is going to take a very, very, very long time and you are going to waste even more water. you have a small pool, so bite the bullet and drain it. just let the chlorine levels drop to near 0 over a couple of days, makes sure your pH is around 7 to 7.5 and then drain it. if you cant drain to a road or anything, its not that much water that you cant just drain onto your lawn. as long as your FC is zero and your pH is good, it wont hurt your grass. i would drain 2/3 of your pool to make sure you dont have to do it again.

there is probably not any kind of drain, more than likely there are cracks between your coping and side wall and if that water gets high enough it just drains behind. you can drain just using your pump, just make sure its only pulling from the bottom drain, not the skimmer. if thats not possible, you can rent a submersible pump for cheap at home depot or lowes.

there is probably not any kind of drain, more than likely there are cracks between your coping and side wall and if that water gets high enough it just drains behind. you can drain just using your pump, just make sure its only pulling from the bottom drain, not the skimmer. if thats not possible, you can rent a submersible pump for cheap at home depot or lowes.

Thanks for the advice. I do think there is a drain of some sort. My pool guy thought it was done by pressure as there is a small opening the size of a jet that he doesnt know what its for at the same level as the one jet I have but its at other end of pool. My water has never gone above tile that is under coping, it gets to a certain level on the tile and never goes above it.

If you have any thoughts on this Id love to hear, I remember asking him after buying the house if I had a leak because I once was filling it with hose and left it in over nigh and it didnt go above that level on tile.20160418_171619.jpg

It sounds like you may have an overflow. Look inside the skimmer well. Also look around the pool for any mysterious grates

Woodberg-OverflowDrain.jpg

Are there any mystery covers that look similar to the skimmer cover set in the deck? There could be a well inside one connected to a submerged opening.

Your pool is small enough that the tarp method of exchanging water might work. You set a big tarp over the pool and set the hose in it. As the tarp fills and sags, it displaces the equivalent amount of pool water underneath. If you do have an overflow, it'll exit that way. Otherwise, you pump it out. When you think you've drained enough, push a corner of the tarp in so the water can enter the pool below and start tugging it out. Scroll through this thread. The tarp pictures start at post 56 and continue over several pages.

PS. You need a weir for that skimmer throat. It'll skim better.

It sounds like you may have an overflow. Look inside the skimmer well. Also look around the pool for any mysterious grates

Woodberg-OverflowDrain.jpg

Are there any mystery covers that look similar to the skimmer cover set in the deck? There could be a well inside one connected to a submerged opening.

Your pool is small enough that the tarp method of exchanging water might work. You set a big tarp over the pool and set the hose in it. As the tarp fills and sags, it displaces the equivalent amount of pool water underneath. If you do have an overflow, it'll exit that way. Otherwise, you pump it out. When you think you've drained enough, push a corner of the tarp in so the water can enter the pool below and start tugging it out. Scroll through this thread. The tarp pictures start at post 56 and continue over several pages.

PS. You need a weir for that skimmer throat. It'll skim better.

Here is picture of only other opening in pool besides the one jet, I held string in front of it, and there is water flowing in, but not fast. There is no suction when I hold hand over it.

20160418_175152.jpg

Attachments

• 20160418_175152.jpg
    20160418_175152.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 94
Here is picture of only other opening in pool besides the one jet, I held string in front of it, and there is water flowing in, but not fast. There is no suction when I hold hand over it.

View attachment 46727
That's well below the water line, so it has to connect with something else, otherwise you'd drain the pool down to that level.

That's likely an unused or abandoned port for a suction side pool cleaner.

You should be able to find a universal weir door online for your skimmer opening or perhaps the factory version of you can determine the make/model of the skimmer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The my pool guy said that some of the pools built here, Im guessing in the late 90s would have an overflow system where water would flow out based on the pressure of pool filling up to much and that the pipe goes to some drain pipe somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

That's likely an unused or abandoned port for a suction side pool cleaner.

You should be able to find a universal weir door online for your skimmer opening or perhaps the factory version of you can determine the make/model of the skimmer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That makes sense, but what doesnt to me is having that installed for a 3800 gallon "soaking pool". Its a real small kidney shape.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question not related, do you guys know what that white moulding is between deck and tile. Its cracking and chipping as you can see. Is it crucial? Will my pool get damaged? Does it HAVE to be fixed, and if so it kind of looks like an expensive job. Any thoughts?

Most water rates around the country will allow you to completely replace ALL the water in your pool for $20.00 or so.

Exchange the water how ever you want but it is very important to get your CYA down so your pool is manageable. You DO NOT want to have your CYA up there when the summer temps arrrive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Most water rates around the country will allow you to completely replace ALL the water in your pool for $20.00 or so.

Exchange the water how ever you want but it is very important to get your CYA down so your pool is manageable. You DO NOT want to have your CYA up there when the summer temps arrrive.

Thanks for the advice. Im going to do it the slow way because I live in FL and the water table is real close to pool. Everyone down here says you should get a professional to do it if you are going to drain the entire pool.

View attachment 46727

That is what my overflow is like. The end of the drain pipe goes verticle outside the pool deck to the height of the water level you want it to be. Look around for a pvc pipe coming up out of the ground around your pool.

That is what my overflow is like. The end of the drain pipe goes verticle outside the pool deck to the height of the water level you want it to be. Look around for a pvc pipe coming up out of the ground around your pool.

I definitley have some sort of overflow, watched it at work last night, filled up pool as high as it would go and 20 mins latter went to its normal high fill level.

Ive looked and looked for a pvc pipe around pool, cant find it...neither could pool guy.

Tested with my new Test Kit and took to pool store to check their numbers. We both had 60 CYA, this is after my diluting the water last night with around 900 gallons, I did not drain, just used the overflow.

Where they were way off was FC, they say its 2.0ppm, my test kit says 7.6, and my 7point test strips are still reading off the chart 10+ for both FC and TC.

i live in FL also, and groundwater can be an issue. best and safest method is going to be to dig a hole next to your pool. if you are going to drain 3 feet of water from your pool, just dig the hole next to the pool down 3 feet. let it sit for a while, if there is no standing water, you are good to go. if there is standing water, try not to drain your pool more than 6" below that. 6" isnt enough hydrostatic pressure to pop the pool out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.