Planning to install a variable speed pump

coilerman

Bronze Supporter
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have a Hayward Superpump, single speed and a Hayward H series gas heater with electronic ignition. I have a mechanical timer that turns off my heater and then, after a short delay, turns off the pump.

I'm planning to buy a Pentair Superflo VS pump, model 342001. I would like to run the pump at slow speed at night to keep the water circulating. It will be below the minimum PSI for the heater.

I realize if the pressure is too low, the heater's low pressure switch will trip and turn off the heater. But, should I be relying on this as a nightly "off switch" for the heater?

Or, should I continue to use the mechanical timer to turn off the heater an hour before the VS pump goes into low mode?

I'm just wondering if the low pressure switch is designed to be used in that fashion.

Are you saying the SWG needs to run that a VERY long time to keep your FC levels in range? That seems strange.
What are your test results?

How big is your pool? Add it to your signature.

I realize I am drifting from your actual question, but what your are proposing does not seem like it should be required ;)

Signature updated. The pool is closed (I live in Canada) so I don't have any readings.

My SWG ran fine last summer and FC was at a good level even though I had no water running through the SWB for 8 hours at a time. So I'm sure the SWG does not need to be running 24 hours a day. But, I replaced the SWG module about 5 years into the pool and I don't want to do it again. I thought I read somewhere that having power to the SWG without running water through it hurts the longevity of the cell. Is that false?

I reviewed the default program for the Pentair and it goes like this:

2 hours - 3000rpm
10 hours - 1400rpm
2 hours - 2200rpm
10 hours - stationary/paused

So it appears that I had it wrong. I thought the second 10 hours was at low mode as well, not stationary/paused. So let me back up a bit and ask about that program. I assume that the 1400 rpm is not enough to bring my heater out of low mode. So the heater is only working during the 2 hours at 3000 and 2 hours at 2200. Does that seem like a good idea? The heater would be working at 100% during those times, I would think.

I guess I still fail to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

You want to run the pump at the lowest speed for the shortest amount of time that you can while meeting all your needs.

You will have to determine what speed allows the heater to run.
You will have to determine what speed allows the SWG to generate.
I would then make the lowest that allows both be your lowest speed setting.

Running the heater for 4 hours split up like that seems like it would just be wasting energy since the heat will be lost.

It is not necessary to have continuous water flow through the SWG. It will not shorten the life to have the pump off overnight. It is a good idea to have your SWG wired to a timer to be able to turn it off. My pump runs on a 12 -24 hour timer depending on the season and how busy my trees are, solar heat needs, etc. My SWG is wired to a time clock and usually runs 6-8 hours per day inside the pump run time.

It is not necessary to have continuous water flow through the SWG. It will not shorten the life to have the pump off overnight. It is a good idea to have your SWG wired to a timer to be able to turn it off. My pump runs on a 12 -24 hour timer depending on the season and how busy my trees are, solar heat needs, etc. My SWG is wired to a time clock and usually runs 6-8 hours per day inside the pump run time.

Thanks for the input. What's the reason for shutting off the SWG?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the input. What's the reason for shutting off the SWG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.