Chlorine levels will not go down, have not added ANY chlorine for 2 weeks.

Apr 18, 2016
Mt Dora FL
I live in Central FL, temps have been mild, high 70's. Started taking care of my pool a month ago. Made mistake of starting with pool store..before finding this site.

They entered my pool size wrong at 6700 gallons when it is a 3800-4000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate pool. So I know I added too much stabalizer because its now reading between 60-100 *store results. (need to do a test with MY test kit that should be here soon). I will fix this over time adding water to pool.

The confusing part for me is that my Chlorine level was at 0, I shocked as they told me too with 2quarts liquid and added a floater 3inch tab. Well my Chlorine went has been reading 9.9 on my aquacheck trutest, and 10 on my 7point test strips, and I think a 7 at the store.

It has not gone down, I removed the puck two weeks ago, and have not added any chlorine. Chlorine level has not dropped one bit.

Its funny, when pool guy was taking care of pool once a week, no pucks in pool, he just threw in an eyeball'd amount of liquid from large jug. He said it was an easy pool to care for.

Any thoughts on why chlorine staying so high?

Can't give much advice without test data from your own kit but, is the pool in a screened in enclosure? Does it get much sun?

Can't give much advice without test data from your own kit but, is the pool in a screened in enclosure? Does it get much sun?

It is screened in, gets a fair amount of sun.

FC 10 or 9.9 (with my test strips) the pool store said 7.
TA 70
PH 7.4
CYA 60-100 (store test only gives 100 for anything between 60 and 100)

Its just really odd, you would expect some drop in 2 weeks wouldnt you?? It is a clean pool, doesnt get much in it but some pollen, and whatever blows in when doors are opened.

If 10 is as high as the guess strip reads then it could have been much higher and still show 10. An FAS-DPD chlorine test will remove all of the mystery.

The proper test kit (i.e. TF-100 or Taylor K-2006) is the foundation of your pool care. Why these kits? We've learned through personal experience that you cannot reply on pool store testing, test strips, or simple over-the-counter kits. They simply do not read Free Chlorine (FC) or Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels accurately or to the high levels we need. If you do not have a TF-100 or Taylor K2006 test kit, it should be your #1 priority.

We have learned that pool store testing is incredibly inconsistent at best. What was 100 today could be 200 tomorrow or visa-versa. Seasonal employees, testing under inconsistent lighting, etc all add to poor testing. IF these were your own test kit results, we could probably pinpoint things better, but going off of the pool store or test strips just has us chasing our tails guessing. Sorry.

No, in a clean pool that has shade (low UV) and is cool, I would not expect the chlorine to decrease much at all. In the winter time when my pool is cold and in direct sun light (lots of UV) my FC loss is less than 0.1ppm per day.

You're just going to have to wait for it to come down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.