Pool light mystery

gregoz

Apr 18, 2016
Danville, CA
Hi, we've got an in-ground pool, roughly 30 years old, whose in-pool light has lost its chrome and seems to be leaching metals into the pool. We've had pool chemistry tested multiple times, both with wet-tests and strips, and the chemistry checks out OK. We'd like to get a replacement cover, but can't seem to find either the manufacturer for the existing cover, or a compatible replacement. Fyi, the diameter of the cover is 10". As you can see on the back, there are 6 screws, that utilize a metal ring on the back of the can with the light that are screwed into the front (shown below) that via compression against the black gasket form a water-tight seal around where the bulb screws in. On the front of the cover, there is one bolt (allen wrench head) that threads through the front of the light cover, into the border of the opening in the pool where the light can sits recessed into.

If anyone can help me identify the manufacturer/part # or a replacement to solve this mystery, that would be great. The guy at Leslie's couldn't identify it, although based on the pattern on the glass, he thinks it looks similar to a Hayward product. TIA!
20160416_170515.jpg20160416_170404.jpg

It looks like an old Anthony and Sylvan pool light. I had an original circa 1980s Sylvan light replaced a few years ago. The back of my fixture had a label.

Maybe you can post of photo of the rest of the fixture and dimensions of the lens & fixture. This might help someone help you figure out how to find a replacement part.

Ok, here are a few more pictures. As mentioned, the front metal bezel is 10" in diameter. The glass itself is 7.5" in diameter. The front of the can that the bulb is in is 7 3/4" in diameter. The back of the can as seen in the photo is 4" in diameter, and the can is 7.5" deep.

Attachments

• 20160418_111805.jpg
    20160418_111805.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 77
I assume this fits into a standard wet niche. If so, I wonder if you simply cannot use another current light fixture with a 10" bezel? As long as it fits into the niche and the screw holes line up, it should work. Have you tried that?

Dave- That is my plan. the wet niche/can in the wall seems plenty deep and kind of generic (e.g. not custom fitted for this specific fixture). So, my next quest will be to find a light that has something as close to a 10" bezel as possible.. as long as I can get a screw hole on the front of the bezel to match up with what is at the top of the niche on the wall of the pool (and the threading is the same), then I think I'd be OK, right? Of course need to buy the new fixture complete, pull through the new wiring etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.