Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Greetings seasoned experts!

So, we bought a house with a pool two years ago. All the equip was a mess, so we replaced what we could afford at the time to get it running. I've been manually controlling everything, so it was time for automation.

This weekend I installed an EasyTouch 8SC, with IC40 SCG, and a Mastertemp 400K heater. Now the fun part... I'm trying to figure how to finalize some of the connections so the automation will work as desired.

• Do I connect the 240V line connections for the heater straight to a breaker, or do they go to the same relay as the Filter Pump? I removed the factory Firemans Switch jumper from the heater and connected those two leads to the heater comm port on the EasyTouch. As I understand it, this will allow me to control temp, etc from the EasyTouch and the ScreenLogic 2 (that I still need to connect).

I have four valve actuators to install. One will go on the suction side valve (#1) for the filter pump to select between spa and pool. One will go on the return valve (#2) that directs to the spa or the pool. One will go on the valve that diverts either to the in-floor heads (in both pool & spa), or to the wall returns or waterslide (#3). One will go to the valve that decides between the wall returns or slide (#4).

• If I want to just recirculate water in the spa, I need the valve #1 to move to spa, and the valve #2 to move to spa. Can a single feature like "Spa" be set up to control two actuators this way?

• Can I set up a single Aux feature so that valve #1 will draw from pool, valve #2 will direct towards valve #3, which will send to the waterslide? In other words, can a single valve be set to different positions by multiple Aux features?

Attached is a graphic of the equip pad area (minus the heater and ICG, which are now in place). I've tried to label everything as well as I can.

Thanks in advance for any advice you all can offer!
View attachment Pool equip layout_post.pdf

The EasyTouch has 4 valve circuits. Intake, Return, valve A and B.

The Intake and Return are factory assigned to the Pool Mode and Spa mode. They can't be reassigned. As you want, when in the pool mode, they take water from your pool through the filter and back to your pool. When in the Spa mode, they take water from your Spa and return it to your spa.

Which heater connection inside the EasyTouch do you have your heater connected to?

Your heater should be wired just like your Intelliflo, right straight to the circuit breakers. I would think the only thing that would be powered by your Pump/Filter relay would be your SWG power, just to make sure the SWG was not on if your Intelliflo pump was not on.

You can use a Feature circuit instead of an Aux circuit to control valves A and B so that use don't have to use up an Aux Relay for nothing.

And lastly.. You should install your ScreenLogic now, as it will make programming the EasyTouch so much easier..

Good Luck with your project..

Jim R.

Jim,
Thanks for your input. I ended up wiring the line power for the heater straight to a breaker, and removed the fireman's switch jumper, then a two-wire lead from that to the Heater connection on the ET. Eventually I realized that the manual heat buttons on the MasterTemp unit were not set to max heat, so the heater wasn't responding. Once I adjusted those all the way up in pool & spa, it all came to life.

Inteliflo filter pump is connected straight to breaker, and controlled via communication cable.

The SCG is connected to the Filter Pump relay, as you describe.

Spa booster pump is connected to Aux 1 relay.

Separate waterfall pump is connected to Aux 2 relay.

Now I need to dive into the setup process for my actuators. I have four actuated valves in the attached picture at the top of this string. Valve 1 is connected to the ET Valve Intake socket, and Valve 2 to the Return socket. That leaves sockets for Valve A and Valve B open. I'd like to set it up as follows:

Pool - low speed circulation, SCG active, Valve 1/Intake from pool, Valve 2/Return sending towards Valve 3, and Valve 3 sending to the in-floor heads, (but cams adjusted to split flow partially to Valve 4), Valve 4 to wall returns.

Spa - Spa booster pump on, filter pump to high speed, Valve 1/Intake from spa, Valve 2/Return to spa, heater active

Slide - Filter pump on, Valve 1/Intake from pool, Valve 2/Return to Valve 3, Valve 3 to Valve 4, Valve 4 to Slide

Waterfall - Aux 2 relay turns on stand-alone pump

If I understand correctly, I should consider using a Feature circuit to control the Slide "feature," since there's no separate pump that needs a relay, and it's simply an adjustment of the valves to redirect flow from the filter pump.

Anything that needs a relay for activation in my system (i.e., the waterfall since it has it's own pump) needs to be on an Aux circuit, since that's how the relays are toggled on/off.

Does it sound like I'm in the ballpark?

I have ScreenLogic connected and am trying to use that for programming.

Paul,

Thanks for the help! Because the MasterTemp has the option for a communication cable in addition to the line power connections, I was able to connect it straight to a breaker, and via the communication connection, rely upon the EasyTouch to disable heater until the filter pump is active.

Paul,

In my mind, your valve setup should be as follows.

Valve 1 in your pic should be connected to the "Intake" valve connection on the EasyTouch PCB. This will automatically move the valve to the pool position when in the pool mode and the spa position when in spa mode.

Valve 2 in your pic should be connected to the "Return" valve connection on the EasyTouch PCB. This will automatically move the valve to the pool position when in the pool mode and the spa position when in spa mode.

Valve 3 in your pic can be wired to either the A or B valve connection, but let's pic A. You will need to tell it when to move using a Feature circuit.

Valve 4 should then be wired to the B valve connection. You will need to tell it when to move using a Feature circuit.

I'd connect the Intake and Return valve actuators first, and make sure they work like they should, and then move on to automating valves A and B.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim.

That's exactly how I have them connected now. Intake and Return are set up the way I want them. Now on to setting the features so the others do their thing...

(Somehow I posted my reply to Paul's message into my reply to your first message... I'm a noob at this forum stuff too, not just to pool ownership!)

Matt

Matt,

Have you installed your Screen Logic yet? If not, you really should, as it makes programming so much easier. It also makes using the Feature Functions a lot easier too. From your computer screen you can just click on the feature you what on. As an example I have a Feature named "Waterfall".. Clicking the waterfall icon will move the valve to turn on the waterfall and increase the pump speed to what it needs to be to make the waterfall look the way I want. A feature can also be scheduled.. Mine turns on once a day for 10 minutes just to keep the water in the pipes chlorinated. I can turn on the feature at the panel, but that means having to go to the panel, open the panel, push menu, selecting Features, then scrolling to the right one and then turning it on.

Jim R.

Jim,

I've got ScreenLogic up and running. As of this afternoon, most everything seems to be functioning.

Now I need to find a suitable LED light to replace the defunct old Fiberstars fiber optic light heads in the pool and spa. I'm thinking their PAL TREO lights, so I can mount them right in the existing nicheless PVC conduit openings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.