OMG -- Help!

Helen203

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2015
Annapolis, MD
Today my PB came by to add salt and start the SWG.

My husband just called and said that the PB also added several buckets of stabilizer (?) to our pool even though Greg told him I had already balanced our pool chemistry. Our CYA was at 60 before this addition -- and I had an additional pound of CYA in a sock in the skimmers to bring it to trim it 70.

This is where the OMG comes in. I left my husband at home with strict "orders" to prevent the PB from adding anything but salt to the pool. And he didn't.

Is it possible that he added something other than stabilizer? Greg says that the PB was adament that he had to add buckets of the mystery substance to the pool to "balance the salt".

Suffice it to say, he didn't test anything at all.

At this point, it's probably all a guess. I would suggest trying to contact the company who visited. The term "several buckets" of anything is alarming to say the least. Perfect example of people who don't know water chemistry. Perhaps look on the pool floor and check to see if you see granules laying around. That may be a clue. If not, maybe it was for CH or Alkalinity Up? I'm trying to think positive for you. :)

If the genius added the stuff to the skimmer, drain the filter tank and rinse off the cartridge and flush out any granules that are stuck inside the filter housing. If it's CYA, it dissolves fairly slow and you'll get rid of most of it that way.

Husband is soooo in the doghouse right now, LOL. CYA is over 100 already. I use the skimmer for granulate stuff, PB, not so much.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, it's probably all a guess. I would suggest trying to contact the company who visited. The term "several buckets" of anything is alarming to say the least. Perfect example of people who don't know water chemistry. Perhaps look on the pool floor and check to see if you see granules laying around. That may be a clue. If not, maybe it was for CH or Alkalinity Up? I'm trying to think positive for you. :)

Its terrifying, really. We will be SWIMMING in that water, and he didn't so much as pull out a test strip before he went to town adding things.

I have a call in to the PB, as well as an email. I've taken a few deep breaths now, and the worst case is, we'll have to drain half of the water.

I'd do as Richard says and try to vacuum the pool and clean out the filter. Then, wait a day or two to let everything stabilize. After that, measure your water chemistry and devise a corrective plan.

Take a deep breath Helen and let it out slowly. Your pool will be fine. This is just a very minor setback.

I'd do as Richard says and try to vacuum the pool and clean out the filter. Then, wait a day or two to let everything stabilize. After that, measure your water chemistry and devise a corrective plan.

Take a deep breath Helen and let it out slowly. Your pool will be fine. This is just a very minor setback.

Greg's on it. Texas needs to send some rain our way to dilute our water! We actually cleaned the filters YESTERDAY, so he knows what to do today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup. Just flush it all out. Give the pool 24 hrs of circulation and then test it tomorrow. Hopefully your CYA is not too high.

I know, right? Unfortunately, he added 8 pounds of CYA, so even though Greg caught some of it in the filters, most of it ended up dissolved in the water. So we'll be learning how to drain the pool tomorrow, LOL. Greg's normally no pushover, but the pool chemistry stuff is new to us.

I know, right? Unfortunately, he added 8 pounds of CYA, so even though Greg caught some of it in the filters, most of it ended up dissolved in the water. So we'll be learning how to drain the pool tomorrow, LOL. Greg's normally no pushover, but the pool chemistry stuff is new to us.

Best to use a submersible pump that you rent from HD or Lowes. Something on the order of 3000 gallons per hour or so. Don't rely on the pool pump to drain as it loses head too quickly and will take forever.

You can drain at the deep end and fill at the shallow end so that the water volume doesn't change too drastically. Not the most optimal way to exchange water but it'll do.

OK, so here's my plan for tomorrow and Wednesday: 1) test, 2) rent a pump from HD and drain as needed, 3) refill; 4) retest; 5) add stuff as needed by pool math; 6) itemize and bill pool builder. Somewhere in there, I am working and have a drs appt. No problem!

Its sure a lot of work and expensive for a stupid PB mistake.

Also want to add that salt has really changed the way my water looks for the better, particularly the way sunlight refracts on the water. (Husband says its the hexagonal refraction of the salt crystals, but then again, he's the one that let our PB add CYA to a perfectly balance pool, so he can't be trusted...). More specifically, I've always felt the water color was "a blue not found in nature", and the salt has softened that to a blue usually found in white plaster pools (which I like), with an interesting texture close up.

Does anyone have a scientific reason for why the pool changes with the addition of salt?

I can't answer that (no salt here) but I can say the "TFP WAY" of taking care of it makes the water
clarity/sparkle in a way that most non tfp pools don't. :)

I've had lots of comments from guests about how great the water looks whenever they come over.

My realtor even said so once, when I was at the end of a slam lol.

I would make the pool company do it
or at least TRY to make them do it

Its the only way they will begin to understand NOT to screw with your pool

if you dont rub their nose in it they will do it again ...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.