Need help with Thread Size on Hayward SP1580

May 14, 2015
Hampstead, NC
Guys, Thanks in advance. Basically I inherited a year old Hayward SP15801c 1HP pump from my brother who got rid of his pool. He purchased the house with the pool and didnt want to take care of it so took it down and I got the pump so there is no asking him for assistance. Anyway, i cannot for the life of me figure out what the thread size is on the return side of this thing.
I know the inlet size on it is a 1 1/2 inch female, however the return thread is a larger, like 2 1/2 external male thread. After doing some googling I think it must be some sort of proprietary thread size for a hayward union, however i could never find the specific part number I need to order.
I called the local hayward pool distributor and the guy basically told me they dont make external threads and thought I was nuts. I called Hayward customer service and got a guy on the phone who provided me a part number, however the number he gave me is the actual housing that I have, not the threaded coupler I need to connect my hose to it. The following is what he gave me Hayward SPX1580AAT Pump Housing with Extended Thread which is exactly what I have. I just need to figure out what to purchase to connect my return hose to it. I would call them back, however I just sat on hold for 45 minutes and dont want to do taht again.
If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

I am almost positive that that has an internal thread too, correct? Just get a 1 1/2" PVC male thread fitting and screw it in and plumb from there.

Unfortunately no, it doesnt. I actually just had to go check and make sure. I was like, you got to be kidding me, how could I miss that. But unfortunately it does not have female threads on the inside, just the large external male threads.

After looking at the pic on amazon a little more carefully, I do see the inside threads on that housing. So i guess what I have is not "exactly" like that one. I wish it were that easy.
I guess worst case scenario is I have to order the other housing with the female threads, I just hate to waste $50 on something if I can find the fitting for like $15.

Maybe a picture of the output side of the pump and an overall picture showing any part numbers would help us to help you.

You can upload a pic to Photobucket and then copy the "IMG" code and paste it in a message here.

EDIT: Just saw Richard's post - I agree, it's probably a thread for a union type fitting.

Maybe a picture of the output side of the pump and an overall picture showing any part numbers would help us to help you.

You can upload a pic to Photobucket and then copy the "IMG" code and paste it in a message here.

EDIT: Just saw Richard's post - I agree, it's probably a thread for a union type fitting.

Here is a picture of the actual output and threads.
pump_zpsohflhnwl.jpg Photo by coreygilles | Photobucket
Yeah, pretty sure it is a union fitting, I just wish I knew exactly which one it was. I hate just guessing and buying something and then having to go through the trouble of returning it.

Hmmm... I see a hex behind those external threads. Are you sure that thing doesn't unscrew?
pump_zpsohflhnwl.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ooh i'm liking the look of that second link alot, Hayward Union Connectors with Orings (Set of 2), SP1500UNPAK2. I am assuming it means that the male threads on this union are 1.5 inch. It appears that the female threaded part is alot bigger so im hoping its the right size that I need.
I may give that one a shot and see. Thanks for the advice and if anyone else has any comments keep em coming.
Thanks again

Well guys, just an update. I actually called Hawyard back and spoke to another one of their employees about this. He did some digging and found that this pump was originally sold as part of a package with a DE filter which is why it has weird connections. He gave me the same part number banditig recommended SP1500UNPAK2, Well it DIDNT FIT. The threads were the right size, however the threads were way too fine. The threads on my pump are really course.
I gave up and disassembled the pump and took the housing to the local hardware store and tried anything that would fit. I ended up going to the electrical section and found a 2 1/2 female adapter that fit really well. It wasn't perfect, but I could get about 3 or 4 threads in before it started to seize. I figured I'd give it a shot and ended up buying a couple additional pieces and making my very own "Franken adapter" lol. This this is hilarious looking but it works. I have one small leak so I need to take it apart and put some more tape on it, but all in all its going to work.
Now i just have to get it running. This is the first time ive ever left my pool up the entire winter and it looks like milk at the moment. I think i just need to get it cleaned up and get the pump running.
Thanks again for all your help.

Interesting when I looked up the part number you gave for the pump housing it said: "Cover with External Threads for Hayward Power-Flo Pumps Manufactured Prior to 1985". According to that the pump is well over 30 years old, and made as part of a pump/filter package....I wonder why parts would be scarce?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.