New pool project - equipment still not all in and running - treat water?

stimpsonjcat

Bronze Supporter
Feb 23, 2016
Dawsonville, GA
Well I am still having issues getting my new pool project finished.

In the meantime it is pollen season here.

Since the equipment is not all hooked up and running I cannot filter the leaves and pollen that has already gotten into the pool.

Should I be treating this water to prevent algae or any other problems?

It is clear (other than the pollen and leaves).

I added a tarp to keep any new material from getting in.

I will run the spectrum of tests in my pool kit tonight and post numbers.

Just wondering if I need to be doing anything MORE to prevent a problem.

TIA!

Without circulation, your water tests will likely be wrong. About all you can add now is some bleach to keep algae from starting. Once the water is pumping, balancing a fresh fill shouldn't take but a couple hours, including trips to the store. If you have no CYA in the water yet, just target 3 on the FC every day and mix it in good with the pool brush. Poolmath can crunch the numbers for you.

Please edit your signature and tell us what you have.

I checked FC and it is a solid 3 now.

I also checked ph and it is off the small kit's scale.

I added about 8 oz of 15% muriatic and will check again tomorrow.

ETA

Just checked the ph and is now between the 7.5 and 7.8 tints.

TA is now 20.

Should I go ahead and add the baking soda? Pool math says 50 oz or so.

OK, so the current mixing method is to run the transfer pump from the pool into the spa and let the spa spill over into the pool.

After some more research I think this aeration may be causing my pH to rise. That happens, right?

I have some CYA, maybe 10, if I am doing the test right...I have been adding well-dissolved stabilizer as possible. Still less than half of what pool math said to use.

pH was high again today, so I added some more MA.

Yes, it is important to keep PH at 7.8 or lower at all times. Also, minimize running any water features that aerate the water like waterfalls, bubblers, etc. Those also raise PH.

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <-----, climate is often an important factor when we are helping you with your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks!

OK, I will keep adding MA when it goes above.

I am in Georgia and I added that to my profile...apologies.

Is this normal for a new plaster pool to see the pH keep climbing?

I *was* mixing by running the transfer pump from pool to spa and letting the spillover return to the pool.
Now I am running the transfer pump by itself in either the pool or spa for mixing.

Will add more stabilizer and MA as a minimum tonight.

With new plaster PH could rise for up to a year while the plaster cures............I would test PH at least once a day if not two times a day due to the big rise you are having.

You do not need to dilute the MA. Just use care as I am sure you have found. It is yucky stuff!

Kim:cat:

Thanks for the adding link, will read that and make some notes on chemicals.

I decided to drain the spa...the volume math I did was way off and I had added far too much of several chemicals. I'll start over tonight.

The pool is very close to being right. pH tests will be daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.