Lowered PH to 6.8 is it OK to raise it using just aeration.

Apr 18, 2016
Mt Dora FL
Hello, Im new here, have been reading all the tips and pool school stuff, I really like this site!

I have a really small pool, 3500-4000 gallons kidney shape.

Im new to all this. Yesterday I had a high PH and put in the "pool store" recommended amount of acid. Now my TA is 50 and my PH is 6.8. It was 6.4 last night.

My question is if it is OK to raise my PH with just aeration, or is this an "emergency" low level where I should run out and buy something to raise TA and PH right now. I guess I hear "acidic" and freak out thinking my pool is going to dissolve. My pool is really small and I have raised PH by aeration before just using the single pool jet I have. It only took a few hours to raise it, but it was not as low as it is now.

Just concerned my pool is going to disappear on me if I do it slowly.....lol

I think aeration alone is just fine. 6.8 isn't all that low and should cause any problems. One problem i see is that most ph tests bottom out at 6.8 even if the ph is actually much lower, though you said you measured a 6.4 so maybe it's a pool store number, although that's a number they are generally pretty good at.

Ph and damage can vary wildly on your pool type though, please try to update your signature with your specifics. I am assuming a fiberglass pool just do to the size. You can do this in the settings at top right then 'edit signature' on left side middle of the page.

Ph and damage can vary wildly on your pool type though, please try to update your signature with your specifics. I am assuming a fiberglass pool just do to the size. You can do this in the settings at top right then 'edit signature' on left side middle of the page.

Exposed aggregate pool...does that mean I should worry because its not fiberglass? Im aerating right now. It is a small pool, but seems to be really well made.

Forgot to mention my TA is 50, it seems to go up all the time so thats why I was trying to lower it.

You will be fine my PB did a no drain acid wash at a PH much lower than yours for several days and I did not notice any change it the smoothness of the plaster (I checked every day, I had nightmares of all that acid eating my new pool ) I don't ever want to do that again my bet is you will be in range by tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your TA at 50 is Ok for now. But, if your PH doesn't stay around 7.5 to 7.8 then you can raise it to 60. Long term low PH will cause problems, weeks to months. It is a more immediate problem if you have a heater with a copper heat exchanger.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.