Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have a small leak

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a small leak

Its where the pvc pipe comes out of the top of the pump. The guy that put it in used the pvc cement(i can see the purple dye on it). What are my options, would putting silcone around the fitting work or take it apart. If taking it apart is my only option how easy is to break the cement connection? Thanks
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have a small leak

Quote Originally Posted by rgwp96
    Its where the pvc pipe comes out of the top of the pump. The guy that put it in used the pvc cement(i can see the purple dye on it). What are my options, would putting silcone around the fitting work or take it apart. If taking it apart is my only option how easy is to break the cement connection? Thanks
    Is is the part that is screwed into the pump, or the part that is glued together? Either way if it is the pressure side you will need to cut the pipe, unscrew the fitting, either use pipe dope or teflon tape screw it back in and use a coupling to put the 2 pvc pipes back together.

If it is where the pipe is glued to the threaded portion you will need to do the same as above but replace the threaded portion and add a small piece of pipe.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I have a small leak

Quote Originally Posted by mdhwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by rgwp96
    Is is the part that is screwed into the pump, or the part that is glued together? Either way if it is the pressure side you will need to cut the pipe, unscrew the fitting, either use pipe dope or teflon tape screw it back in and use a coupling to put the 2 pvc pipes back together.

If it is where the pipe is glued to the threaded portion you will need to do the same as above but replace the threaded portion and add a small piece of pipe.
    its the part thats screwed in. Thanks for the help.
    14,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with Hidrazzo goulstrem blue finish with infinity edge and spillover from spa, Pentair challenger 1 1/2 HP filter pump, 2 HP Pentair challenger spa jet pump, Hayward 30" sand filter, Pentair IC40 SWG, Raypack 5100 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink PS8 controls, Kreepy Krauly