Lots of bugs in pool

Nov 29, 2015
Davis, CA
Hi, I'm a new pool owner and have been reading this forum a lot. I have used the Taylor K-2006 test and have been getting my water chemistry near where I want it to be. The pool has a salt chlorine generator and my most recent test results are as follows:

Temp: 70
FC - 5
CC-0
CYA -30 (Was at 0 and have been raising slowly as the weather is just warming here).
TA - 70 (Was also near 0 when I got the house, have been raising slowly with baking soda)
pH - 7.4 (drifts usually to 7.6 or 7.8 before I bring back to 7.2 with acid)
CA - 600 (we have very hard water in the area)

We live in the central valley and spring has brought all kinds of pollen, leaves and other organic debris into the pool on a regular basis. I try to stay on top of it but usually can't do a good cleaning until the weekend. Despite this, the water is clear (not green or cloudy). I noticed today that we had a bug infestation (over 50 bugs swimming around under the surface, mostly clinging to the walls). After some quick online searching, they look like boatmen bugs. I guess they feed on algae, but I don't see any obvious signs of algae in the pool. Any help on how to figure out where the algae food might be hiding and how to get rid of this infestation?

Thanks for all the great resources of this board!

Bugs just seem to love a clean TFP pool. :swim: Doesn't matter what state you're in, each have their own species that seem to gather for bug parties. Not much we can do but use a good skimmer sock in the skimmer basket to catch them. What they are attracted to is hard to tell. But if your water is clean & sanitized, and yours appears to be at the moment, you're not doing anything wrong. The only algae food that I am aware of is phosphates, which we don't worry about because we don't have algae in our TFP pools. :) I'm no bug expert, so I can't tell you if that's what they are attracted to though. In the future, if you ever have any doubt as to whether or not you do have algae without the obvious signs of cloudiness or green plumes in the water, you can do an overnight test (OCLT). Have a great day.

Greeting, jirganam, and welcome to TFP!

Usually when I get backswimmers, raising the FC a bit for a few days seems to get rid of them. Other users have reported success using a product called Bioguard Backup that is not intended for this use but causes surface tension the bugs don't seem to like and which actually suffocates them - read the reviews on amazon, some are from TFPers: Amazon.com : BioGuard Back Up - Quart : Swimming Pool Chemicals And Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden

I do want to ask if those test results are from your own kit or elsewhere -- and if you've gotten one of the recommended test kits from TFTestkits.net -- strips and even pool stores are not as accurate, and being able to test your parameters whenever you need is essential to TFP maintenance.

I should also add that generally, the TFP way would not to be adding an algaecide like the Backup or anything else with possible unintended consequences ;) Instead, we like to rely on maintaining the FC:cya ratio (see link in my signature). That said, I did want to share info I've come across ;)

You also mentioned you were raising your cya -- just checking that you are aware cya for a salt water generator should be in the 70-80 range. Its possible that your FC of 5 isn't continuous/protected enough without the cya level being correct...and these dips are making the water more attractive to the bugs ;)

Either way, an immediate bump in FC may help -- you don't have to go all the way to Slam level, but raising it a good few ppm with liquid chlorine may help disincentivise the bugs ;) See if that alone helps first and let us know.

Cheers!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.