Solar Valve Issue

Apr 17, 2016
Las Vegas NV
Found my problem and it was in the mirror! I had at some point set up a schedule for the auxiliary circuit that got ported over to the solar system when it was enabled. I deleted that schedule and it all works perfectly now. Turns out I am my worst enemy!

I'm having a similar problem as in this thread, but my solar doesn't even come on as scheduled. I have to manually switch it on even when there's a significant temperature difference between the pool and the outside temps.
I don't know if the problem is with the solar installation of the Easytouch settings. Turned on 3 months ago. I have limited knowledge about what's going on but want to learn.
Thanks in advance.

Did it ever work?

Do you have a solar temperature sensor installed? Is the valve you are trying to move connected to the Solar valve drive connection inside the EasyTouch? Does the valve move when you move the little toggle switch on the motor?

If just 3 Months old you should be talking with the installer or PB that did the installation.

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

Tell us about you pool by adding your info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I'm not exactly sure how the Easytouch works because I have a Solartouch but they are probably similar.

Here are the settings for Solartouch
Solar heat has to be enabled
The temp differential should be set, the default is probably 4 or 5 degree between water temp and solar temp
The pump has to be running, usually in a program at a low speed, assuming you have an intelliflo, mine runs at 1100 rpm.
You have to tell the Easytouch that you have an Intelliflo and to switch to speed 2, mine is set for 1950 rpm
Then when the solar temp is X degrees higher than the water temp it will open the valve and ramp the speed

The Easytouch manual is available for download here, http://www.pentairpool.com/products/automation-easytouch-control-systems-49.htm

Solar is enabled in Easytouch and it is set for a 6 degree differential. I am able to turn on the solar valve manually using the toggle switch.
i just had the solar guy move the sensor to the roof after talking to Pentair, so we'll see if that solves the problem.

Did you ever get this sorted? I just had solar installed yesterday, and while I have no idea what my differentials are set to I do have screenlogic2 and I have the pool set for solar only trying to get teh pool to a 95* target temp. Today it was really nice outside, full sun as usual in Tucson, high ambient temps in the mid to upper 90's. I would have thought given my settings, that when the sun started cooking the sensor on the roof, that the pump would just automatically turn on and start trying to heat the pool. Then turn off when the sun went down. This is not at all what happened. The solar actuator moved to divert water to the panels fine, but the pump only ran during my pool low program which is from noon to 2:30.

So maybe I am just unclear how it's supposed to work, but I think what I am thinking makes sense... If I have the pool set temp at 95* and the pool is 82*, As soon as the sun comes out the system should try and pump as much heat into the pool as possible. Not just during my normal pool low program. Or am I wrong?

-J

Most solar controllers will only turn the solar valve on. They will not turn the pump on, it needs to already be on.

Mine has a solar override which will keep the pump running after the shut off time if heat is still available.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.