Algae Break 90 put in pool at 50 degrees is that an issue?

Apr 16, 2016
Athens, AL
We've had a pool for almost 12 years, mostly used strips and got lazy about the whole chemistry thing, for one thing I would learn it one year and forget it the next year, so went with strips for the ease of it. We got a new liner 2 weeks ago, and the installers added the stabilizer for us and left the rest of it up to us. We had left over Hy Chlor shock from last year so we just used what we had and did a 24oz scoop the first week and the PH was right around 7.2. At that point that was all I was worrying about, until I could buy a test kit. Unbeknownst to me, my husband dumped a 32 oz. bottle of Algae Break 90 into the pool one day while I was gone. The bottle says it's non staining formula, but now I'm concerned that it will be an issue because the water temperature was still around 50. Since I'm trying my hardest to learn how to do everything right from the get go this time, I was wondering if that Algaecide will cause problems with my readings?
Today I got the Leslie 81-230 Test Kit. Here are my readings:
CYA 30
PH. 7.6
FC. 1.2
TC. 2.4
CC - 1.2
TA. 90
CH 100
I did the calculator and it said I need 44 oz of volume stabilizer? Is that the same thing as Borax?
This site is awesome, I've been reading here for 2 days trying to get smart on all I need to do and worry about, any help is appreciated, I was shocked to learn muriatic acid is used to treat PH, is that an ingredient the Pool store sells as something else and is that the same thing as PH UP? Thanks.
Ladyofone

Welcome! :wave:

I had to look it up, since I never heard of Algae Break 90. Turns out it's Copper-based. It has something called 2,2',2''-Nitrilotrisethanol, coppersalt in it. Don't use that anymore. Under the right conditions, copper can turn your pool water a brilliant emerald green, turn blond hair green, and leave ugly blotchy stains on the pool liner. So no more of that!

That test kit is a Taylor K-2005. Close, but not exactly the same as the K-2006 we recommend. The good news is, you can turn it into a K-2006 by buying this.

The algaecide won't interfere with test results.

Big question: what does the water look like? Is it clear, cloudy, murky, green, black and viscous? You do need to perform the SLAM process because the CC is so high. If the water is otherwise clear, you might be able to wing it with what you have. If the water is full of algae, you'll really need to wait for the proper chlorine test, and our advice will be far different.

Don't raise the CYA any if a SLAM is called for. Wait until it's done, then raise it after. And no, Stabilizer is not Borax.

Muriatic Acid is also called Hydrochloric Acid. It's a liquid. You can buy it at pool stores or some big box stores and hardware stores. Sometimes the hardware stores have it with the pool stuff, sometimes it's in the paint department where it's used to etch concrete before painting.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals goes into much greater detail about what does what and how to add it and where to find it.

Borax raises PH...stabilizer aka CYA protects your chlorine from the sun. Muriatic acid lowers PH. Don't put anything else in your pool that isn't recommended here. Use plain ole Walmart bleach for chlorine. Spend some more time reading pool school and it'll begin to make sense.

Not thinking the test kit you picked up is a good one. There are only 2 we recommend that can't be bought in stores. The T100 that you can get a tftestkits.com or Taylor k2006.....the T100 is a better bang for your buck.

And, welcome fellow Alabamian!

OOPS, Richard has you covered....gu as we were typing at the same time...

Thanks Richard, I made a typo when I typed in the number of my test kit, it's 81-330, not (2)30. I'm gonna do another test today and read more to try and figure out what to do next.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply, been in Alabama for 12 years, retired here from the DC area, love it here. People are soooooo nice.

Thanks Richard, I made a typo when I typed in the number of my test kit, it's 81-330, not (2)30. I'm gonna do another test today and read more to try and figure out what to do next.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your reply, been in Alabama for 12 years, retired here from the DC area, love it here. People are soooooo nice.
It's this kit? Taylor Technologies K-2005 DPD Complete Chlorine Kit

If there is no powder numbered R-0870 and drops labelled R-0871, it's not the one we recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.