Pool opening, Using Bleach or Cal-hypo

May 30, 2012
Allentown, PA
I live in Eastern PA and every year when I open my pool it requires 60+ jugs of bleach. I opened the pool today which is early and as usual the pool looks good I can see both drains and the deep end, the pool is just cloudy. I tested the water and found zero CYA so I brought it up to shock level 3 times and it drops to zero within 2 hours. I have been running around today and can't babysit the pool. Anyhow, because the pool requires, so much effort in the beginning of the season with the BBB method I'm thinking next year I will just hit it with Cal-Hypo and then switch over to Bleach after the first week. The pool guys can't sit around and babysit a pool, so what do they do? Any thoughts on this especially those of you that have to close your pool in the winter months. By the way, I have been using the BBB method for over 4 years and really like it, it's just the opening that makes me go nuts. Thanks

If you have room for the CH, you can certainly use Cal-hypo to SLAM the pool. Safest thing is to figure out how much CH you can safely add, then go to poolmath and check under Effects of Adding Chemicals how much CH each pound of Cal-hypo will add to the pool. Then just don't buy more than that. Poolmath will give you the dosage just the same as it will calculate the dosage for bleach. Add what you need until it's used up, then switch to bleach

Now, with that out of the way....

A green pool with no CYA after the winter may have developed Ammonia. There's a way to check that using the FC & CC readings from the FAS-DPD tester. Also, though, just a green pool will suck up the bleach about as fast as you can pour it, particularly if there's no CYA to protect it from the sun's UV rays. If you don't have Ammonia, you need to get some CYA in there ASAP. Target 30 for now. If you do have Ammonia, deal with it first, then add the CYA.

Check out this thread and try the Ammonia test in Post 17.

It definitely sounds like you have ammonia. It will be cheaper to use bleach and most appropriate when dealing with ammonia. You can test FC within 5 minutes of adding bleach since the chlorine will be used up almost immediately.

The amount of ammonia is generally consistent with the amount of CYA present when you closed. You will go through a lot of bleach, but getting rid of ammonia shouldn't take more than an hour or so if you test every 5 minutes. Once your water holds FC, you will have defeated it.

Don't add CYA at this point because it will get converted into more ammonia.

Thanks for the help and suggestions I have the pool looking good and holding Shock level FC. I am wondering how to prevent ammonia from coming each winter? Do the slow release balls work. What else would you recommend? I take it up to shock level when I close in early Oct. and every April it seems I have ammonia.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.