Stains in my pool

Apr 17, 2016
Perry, Georgi
Hey out there! I found this website this morning looking for some advice on removing stains from my pool liner. I have a Doughboy oval above the ground pool .... 11,000 gallons. My pool water is clear. I don't cover my pool during the winter. We have several maple trees on the side so leaves, tree pollen, etc get in the pool. I keep leaves etc out of pool all winter. A couple of years ago we had a terrible time with pollen. So I believe the stains are organic but am not sure. How do I start ... Where do I start. Pool is about 5 yrs old. need help please.

Hey out there! I found this website this morning looking for some advice on removing stains from my pool liner. I have a Doughboy oval above the ground pool .... 11,000 gallons. My pool water is clear. I don't cover my pool during the winter. We have several maple trees on the side so leaves, tree pollen, etc get in the pool. I keep leaves etc out of pool all winter. A couple of years ago we had a terrible time with pollen. So I believe the stains are organic but am not sure. How do I start ... Where do I start. Pool is about 5 yrs old. need help please.
Welcome! :wave:

Organic stains will fade with time and chlorine.

First thing you try is a Vitamin C tablet, as cheap as you can find, no coatings or gelcaps. You might have some or a hypochondriac friend or relative will. Set the tablet on one of the stains (might be easiest to set a pipe in and drop the pill down that way) for a couple minutes and then brush it away. If you have a nice clean dot, you have metal stains. Here's how to deal with them. If no effect, then you set a chlorine puck on it for a couple minutes. They are acidic, so they will also lift metal stains, which is why you want to try the Vitamin C first. If it fades out now, it's organic. Just run your FC a little higher than minimum for a couple weeks and it will go away. Don't leave the puck on the stain, as the acidity can damage the liner.

I don't mean to sound stupid but what is FC? I usually take my water to the pool store and get it analyzed. I want to try and learn how to do this myself it is is not too difficult. :cat:
FCx means Free Chlorine. That's the good stuff. Clorox is FC. The smell you relate to public swimming pools is CC, the bad stuff. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry should help you understand our strange vocabulary.

There's tons of good info in Pool School. Take the time to read some stuff. Read until you feel like :crazy:
Oh, and don't skip the article on Test Kits. You won't likely find the ones we recommend in stock anywhere, but they will try to sell you something close. So read that article.

Welcome!!! They have you covered but I know how much info it can seem like :) just take a breath and dig in reading... It will click and then you will shake your head at much sense it makes...

Now, I have a hard time when I run to Wal-Mart or Home Dept and watch people grabbing stuff they don't need.. I just want to grab them and shake them lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amelia, Welcome :)

I see you list the Nature2 in your pool equipment. Those things add metals to your pool and may be contributing to your stains. Take a sample of water to the pool store and ask them to test for metals. Then tell us what they found?

You really *can* and *should* test your water yourself. Its easy, but more importantly it tells you exactly what your water looks like chemically, and we can help teach you how to take those test results and make your water the best its ever been! And unlike the pool store, we're not selling your expensive potions that may or may not be what you *really* need. We use simple easy to find items to care for our pools- household bleach, Muriatic acid, maybe a little Borax or Baking soda. I promise you our method of pool care is much cheaper than the pool store's way.

Test kits that we trust: Taylor's K2006 or TF-100, both available at TFTestkits.net. About $68, but worth EVERY penny! I promise!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.