May 4, 2009
Indianapolis
Just opened my pool yesterday and my reading are as follows:

FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.8
ALK 170
CYA 0

I didn't do Calcium due to being a vinyl liner. I have a 32,000 gal, Pentair 1hp whisper flo, Pentair Sand Filter, automatic cover. The water is crystal clear. Should I bring up my CYA first?

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you should raise the CYA level.

It is a good idea to do a CH test at least once or twice a season with a vinyl liner. Vinyl doesn't care if the CH level is too low, but high CH levels can cause problems for any kind of pool. A quick test to be sure the CH level isn't getting too high is simple enough.

Welcome. :wave: You can put those specs in your signature....go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

While CH is not required for a vinyl liner, if it is too high and/or combined with high PH it can be a problem.

What are you testing with? (Strips, drop kit, pool store)

Read about recommended levels in Pool School, as your TA is on the high end, so is your PH, and if the high PH is a common occurrence you should lower the TA. There is an article on that in pool school too. You want to lower the PH with Muratic Acid when it climbs above 7.8.

When you closed your pool was there CYA? What was the water temp, did you allow the water sample to come to room temp before testing for CYA - that is one test that is prone to inaccuracy if you test cold water. If the test is accurate, then yes, you should add CYA.

I see Jason beat me to it!
:wink:

If you already have the pucks on hand, go ahead and use them since your PH is high anyway. But once you get to 50 on the CYA switch to chlorine. Keep an eye on the PH that it doesn't get too low while using the pucks.

If you don't have the pucks, then no, it would be cheaper to just go buy stabilizer and use bleach for your chlorine source. If you do have to go buy stabilizer then pick up some Muratic Acid too. :wink:

Hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions! :goodjob:

Waterlogged said:
My latest test:
FC 3
PH 7.5
TA 160
CA 340
CYA 30

I added 4 lbs stabilizer in crystal form. I put it in one of my wife's stockings in front of the skimmer. Should I bump up the CYA some more? How long will CYA usually stay in the pool?

You ideally want about 50 - because you have a sand filter, over the course of the season with backwashing you'll see that number drop. :wink:

If CA 340 means that your calcium level is 340, we normally write CH for calcium hardness, you should think about lowering your TA level. If your PH was to go up, which PH tends to do, you could potentially have calcium scaling problems. Calcium scaling can be prevented by lowering either TA or CH or by being careful to be sure that PH never goes above 7.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.