Water problems

May 1, 2015
Kaplan louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been slamming my pool for about a week now and although I have cleared the water up my water is still cloudy. Cya is at 40 so I'm using 16 as my chlorine shock level according to the cya/chlorine chart. When I started slamming I had a combined chlorine of 1 and I did get that down to 0. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
4e9f5ddcdb29b80668a57d5d76071470.jpg

Fc 16
Cc 0
Cya 40
Ta 70
Ph 7.4
Ch 100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point we might ask the following questions related to your SLAM:
- Have you been backwashing consistently when the pressure increases to 25%?
- Scrubbing/sweeping daily - as much as possible each day?
- Pump running 24/7?
- When was the last time (if ever) your filter was deep cleaned?
- Ladder removed and cleaned; even inside each ladder rung?
- Do you have a light fixture perhaps that could hold algae behind it?

From there, assuming you've been doing all the items on the SLAM page consistently, it may still boil-down to time. Perhaps adding a little DE to your sand filter. I say perhaps because I would leave that as a last option only after ensuring everything else has been maintained. Normally we leave the OCLT for last, but I'm curious .. have you tried one yet?

- - - Updated - - -

The only other thing I can think of .... CYA. Just make sure (in good, bright daylight hours) that your CYA isn't actually higher that 40. If it was, then you may need a slightly higher SLAM level. But that's the only other thing that comes to mind at the moment.

I have not pulled the ladder out so it looks like that is my next step. I have been back washing as frequently as needed. The pool is roughly 5 years old with Pentair sand dollar sd60 sand filter. Also I have been scrubbing morning and night and I've been vacuuming daily also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more question since it was mentioned a couple times. By telling me to add DE to my sand filter I'm assuming you're meaning D.E. Filter powder but what brand would be recommended?

One more question since it was mentioned a couple times. By telling me to add DE to my sand filter I'm assuming you're meaning D.E. Filter powder but what brand would be recommended?

Doesn't matter. See if any of the neighbors have any they'll let you have. You'll only need a few cups and the smallest package is a lifetime supply. Don't buy garden DE, even though it's in smaller packages. Not the same stuff. You might also see if a small bag of cellulose filter powder (Fiber Clear is one brand name) is cheaper, because you won't be using all that much. It's a DE substitute.

So after further investigation and cleaning the ladder thoroughly I followed the link of the last person who had an algae problem in their ballast. I opened up the footing of my ladder and boom I found more algae hidden! You people have been a tremendous help!
39d3b37e49b4fd1d8d8955b05e5090a8.jpg
ef4ebf0150aa6c355fd5adacf163253d.jpg
b4784ba56242f98c54562bbd815cd9a1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.