Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hi all,
we've decided to put an 18x9x52 pool in our backyard to accommodate four active grandchildren. Planning to buy from Home Depot since we have a special offer with them right now. The 18 x 9 rectangular size is perfect for us and I was almost ready to order the Intex. Then my wife went to review and noticed the Polygroup Pro Series. Basically, same specs except the Polygroup has a skimmer and is about $60 less ($840 vs. $899). It's expensive for us anyway we look at it. However, as I've looked at reviews, I find some people who say Polygroup is junk, and others who say Intex uses weaker steel. What should we believe, and does it really make a difference? Would appreciate any objective guidance as soon as possible. Oh, and I'll definitely prepare the ground well--I got that message loud and clear from the forum. Many thanks in advance.

The Polygroup pools (also sold as Summer Escapes) do have a thru the wall skimmer. But the pump is built into the bottom of the skimmer and is usually inadequate for the pool. Should you decide to upgrade to a better pump, this makes it more difficult to do.

The Intex pumps included with their pools are usually too small as well, but being a standalone unit, they are easily replaced. It's easy to install a thru the wall skimmer on an Intex pool, once you get over the idea of cutting a big hole in your brand new pool. Hundreds of us have done it, and I have yet to hear of anyone ruining their pool.

Any reason for choosing a rectangular pool versus round? They look like a little more difficult setup to me. But then I've never done one, so maybe not.

Welcome to TFP!

It looks to me like Polygroup (new to me also) is a rebranded Intex pool. Intex is tried and true. There are many happy Intex owners here. And many happy former Intex owners here also, like me! We had several Intex pools before we built our pool.

Good luck with your project!

Thanks, and quick update. We decided on the rectangular as it seemed to maximize using an area of our back yard and allow some lap swimming--but we're not dead set on it. I almost pulled the trigger to buy the Intex 9x18 from Home Depot. However, a little more web sleuthing showed several vendors with a lower price--as in $629 vs. $899. Well, Home Depot was willing to match the price for the exact same model number. However, the model number available at lower cost from Walmart, Sears and elsewhere for $630-$690 range is 28351EH. The model number from Home Depot for $899 is 28351EG. Seems to be exact same specs.

Turns out Home Depot had the
28351EH model for $690 but was out of stock so could not match price. Intex on their web site only lists 28351EH as an available pool. So I am confused now. Is one of the models new and one superceded? Has Intex recently changed the specs on their steel? The writeup for the Intex that Home Depot sells for $899 says "With a contemporary appearance and increased strength the Intex Ultra frame pool is the standard for luxury in the market."

We're now leaning to Intex just because more seem to be in use and available--even some good used units on Craigslist--which if the price were really good I might risk. Thanks for all your comments.

Intex seems to change their product numbers frequently and randomly. You're better off just comparing by the specs and don't worry about the model numbers. They may even have special models numbers for certain vendors. We had a 14x42" Ultra Frame that you could only buy at Target.

Try Amazon. I've gotten most of m my pool stuff there lately at the best price. And if you're an Amazon Prime member, it shows up in about 2 days with free shipping. My Intex robot was actually delivered yesterday, on a Sunday! Just ordered it Friday night.

Welcome to TFP!

It looks to me like Polygroup (new to me also) is a rebranded Intex pool. Intex is tried and true. There are many happy Intex owners here. And many happy former Intex owners here also, like me! We had several Intex pools before we built our pool.

Good luck with your project!

I don't believe Intex and Polygroup are the same, due to the difference in their pumps, skimmers, and frames. I looked into both when I bought my current pool. The Polygroup did appear to have stronger support beams, but the edge in everything else went to Intex IMHO. That included a thicker liner.

Intex and Coleman however seem to be identical. If they can find a Coleman for less money, I'd go for that. Academy Sports has a good supply of these pools too, and are pretty competitively priced.

DanMan - Yeah - 800+ for the intex is high. We just ordered ours through KMART of all places and got it for 599.00 - although I do see they have now raised to 619.00. But 800+ is a lot. As far as comparison I can't help you much there as I am a newbie to this as well....but the research I did came up with the Intex 2851EH as our best choice for our desired budget.

We've had 3 pools in the past. The first was an intex 15' round, 2nd a summer escapes (Polygroup) 18' round, and our current pool is a 12 x 24 Summer escapes pro (Polygroup pro). My personal preference is the polygroup. As far as strength of the liner and supports there is no difference that we've found. I prefer the summer escapes for the in the wall skimmer. The pumps that come with the pools do not work well (both intex and polygroup). We removed the in-skimmer pump and connected it to an intex pump with salt water generator and couldn't be happier. The intex pump is not compatable with polygroup, but with a few extra plumbing parts we were able to make it work with no problem. The skimmer keeps the surface clean which was great bonus (Keeps stuff from sinking to the bottom). I do agree that 800+ is high for a 9 x 18 pool you're considering. We paid around 900 for our 12 x 24 last year. Which ever pool you decide as far as I'm concerned the polygroup pro is just as strong and reliable as intex. It's just a matter of surface skimmer or not.

The last time I was in Leslie's, they had an adapter that was supposed to allow you to hook up an Intex pump to the Polygroup skimmer. $10 or so IIRC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had both brand of pools, quality of the pool is about the same. They are not made by the same manufacturer though, the threads and pitches are a little different. Jeff said it best, the poly will be more difficult to change the pump configuration is you ever have to and yes you most likely do that. The pricing on the pools, like previously stated just go both width, depth, and length when comparing models. I have not seen any difference in materials with the pools. The coleman is a good option to look at ... The bottom line is find the pool that fits your size / need and then search for the best price (Typically Wal-mart or Amazon but you might luck out with others). I read a thread about a member changing out his poly pool pump and still using the skimmer. If you search poly group pool / skimmer / pump you should be able to find it ...

Good Luck,
No matter what brand you purchase you will always find help here, allot of first hand knowledge here ....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.