Hayward S-240 sand filter

May 4, 2009
Hi,

I am buying a used Hayward S-240 High Rate sand filter which holds 300 lbs of sand. The owner originally had a 240v 2HP motor on it for a 22x50 swimming pool.

I am connecting it to a 110v 1.5HP motor for a 20x40 pool. Is this motor sufficient? I have read that it is important that the pump and filter be a good match.

Thanks for any insight.

Tony

Hey, Tony,

Welcome to the forum. Confirming what Jason said, your filter and pump sound about right for that pool.

The previous owner had too much pool and too much pump for that filter.

Thanks for the quick response, guys! Great site- lots of useful info.

I am buying this filter for about $50. Its 10+ years old. Is it worth it? What usually breaks down on these filters when they start to age?

Tony

The biggest issue I see with the S-240 is cracks in the top half of the housing. Once that's shot, it's not worth replacing (costs almost as much as a new filter). Check for any hairline fractures, particularly around and connections (dome threads, bolt holes, etc.).

A couple of different things happen, depending on just how much too large the pump is (yours isn't too bad).

First, at higher flow rates the filter doesn't filter nearly as well. The higher pressure and flow rate pushes more debris right through the sand. Then, over time, the high flow rates will cause the sand to become channelized. That means that much of the water flows through holes in the sand, typically the size of drinking straws, and doesn't interact with the sand at all. Since a little of the water is still going through the sand, the filter still filters a little, but not nearly as well as it did originally. And finally, running filters at flow rates above their design flow rate results in lots of extra resistance to flow, which reduces the efficiency of your entire system, meaning higher electrical bills.

Anyone know where I can find a manual for the S-240 online?
I found the S-200 on haywards site, but not the S-240.

Also, what do the 'inches' rating mean on sand filters? For example a 24" sand filter versus a 30" sand filter?

Thanks,
Tony

tonyf666 said:
Also, what do the 'inches' rating mean on sand filters? For example a 24" sand filter versus a 30" sand filter?

It's the diameter of the housing, which is pretty well the filter area.

Not to confuse you but there are uprated and full rated pumps. If the original pump was an uprated 2 hp (and I suspect it was) it would be exactly the same total brake HP as a 1.5 hp full rated pump so your pump choice might be exactly the same or just one step down, depending on if yours is uprated 1.5 hp (same as a 1 hp full rated) or a a full rated on. It's a numbers game that pump manufacturers play to increase sales and confuse consumers. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
tonyf666 said:
Anyone know where I can find a manual for the S-240 online?
I found the S-200 on haywards site, but not the S-240.

Hi Tony,

I also had a hard time finding the owner's guide, so I sent a email thur Haywardnet.com and they mailed one to me.

If you have no luck, I would be happy to email a copy to you. Send a PM to me with your email address if you want it. :wink:

p.s. I absolutely love my circa 1992 S-240 sand filter! It is a workhorse and I hope that by bragging on it, I don't make it sick. :p

ETA: corect link name

Hi-
Since we're on the topic of pumps...

I was given this 220v 2HP Hayward superpump, but I can only use a 110v pump. The guy told me it "can easily be changed to 110volts by movining 2 wires and changing the plug"

Does anyone know if this is true? What would the effective HP be after downgrading it to 110v?

Thanks
Tony

Yes, it can be setup for use on a 115 volt line, but you are going to need a 30 amp circuit with appropriately sized wires. There should be a plate on the motor showing how to set the jumpers for the correct voltage.

Can someone tell me the recommended size sand filter for my pool?
I have a 20x40 inground pool (roughly 35,000 gals). I have a 1.5 HP Hayward pump. Im trying to decide which size sand filter I need while looking at the Hayward pro series choices.
20" – 200 lbs.
24" – 300 lbs.
30" – 500 lbs.
36" – 700 lbs.

Thanks,
Tony

spishex said:
The biggest issue I see with the S-240 is cracks in the top half of the housing. Once that's shot, it's not worth replacing (costs almost as much as a new filter). Check for any hairline fractures, particularly around and connections (dome threads, bolt holes, etc.).

I have the same filter and we have water dribbling out from underneath the dome. We changed the o-ring but water is still leaking. I did notice some hairline cracks on the dome threads. Do you know if there's anyway to seal them (even if only temporary), perhaps with a silicone caulk?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.