Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward S-240 sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward S-240 sand filter

Hi,

I am buying a used Hayward S-240 High Rate sand filter which holds 300 lbs of sand. The owner originally had a 240v 2HP motor on it for a 22x50 swimming pool.

I am connecting it to a 110v 1.5HP motor for a 20x40 pool. Is this motor sufficient? I have read that it is important that the pump and filter be a good match.

Thanks for any insight.

Tony

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward S-240 sand filter

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, that pump should be just fine. The worst mistake is to have a pump that is too large for the filter. Having a pump that is smaller is fine unless it is way smaller.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hey, Tony,

Welcome to the forum. Confirming what Jason said, your filter and pump sound about right for that pool.

The previous owner had too much pool and too much pump for that filter.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick response, guys! Great site- lots of useful info.

I am buying this filter for about $50. Its 10+ years old. Is it worth it? What usually breaks down on these filters when they start to age?

Tony

5. Back To Top    #5

The biggest issue I see with the S-240 is cracks in the top half of the housing. Once that's shot, it's not worth replacing (costs almost as much as a new filter). Check for any hairline fractures, particularly around and connections (dome threads, bolt holes, etc.).

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    The worst mistake is to have a pump that is too large for the filter.
    What are the effects of this? I have a 19" filter with 200 lbs of sand and I think my pump is 1 hp.
    21 foot AG 10,000 gallon, Waterway pump and Waterway Carefree 19" sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

A couple of different things happen, depending on just how much too large the pump is (yours isn't too bad).

First, at higher flow rates the filter doesn't filter nearly as well. The higher pressure and flow rate pushes more debris right through the sand. Then, over time, the high flow rates will cause the sand to become channelized. That means that much of the water flows through holes in the sand, typically the size of drinking straws, and doesn't interact with the sand at all. Since a little of the water is still going through the sand, the filter still filters a little, but not nearly as well as it did originally. And finally, running filters at flow rates above their design flow rate results in lots of extra resistance to flow, which reduces the efficiency of your entire system, meaning higher electrical bills.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Anyone know where I can find a manual for the S-240 online?
    I found the S-200 on haywards site, but not the S-240.

Also, what do the 'inches' rating mean on sand filters? For example a 24" sand filter versus a 30" sand filter?

Thanks,
    Tony

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by tonyf666

Also, what do the 'inches' rating mean on sand filters? For example a 24" sand filter versus a 30" sand filter?
    It's the diameter of the housing, which is pretty well the filter area.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

10. Back To Top    #10

Not to confuse you but there are uprated and full rated pumps. If the original pump was an uprated 2 hp (and I suspect it was) it would be exactly the same total brake HP as a 1.5 hp full rated pump so your pump choice might be exactly the same or just one step down, depending on if yours is uprated 1.5 hp (same as a 1 hp full rated) or a a full rated on. It's a numbers game that pump manufacturers play to increase sales and confuse consumers.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by tonyf666
    Anyone know where I can find a manual for the S-240 online?
    I found the S-200 on haywards site, but not the S-240.
    Hi Tony,

I also had a hard time finding the owner's guide, so I sent a email thur Haywardnet.com and they mailed one to me.

If you have no luck, I would be happy to email a copy to you. Send a PM to me with your email address if you want it.

p.s. I absolutely love my circa 1992 S-240 sand filter! It is a workhorse and I hope that by bragging on it, I don't make it sick. :P

ETA: corect link name
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Hi-
    Since we're on the topic of pumps...

I was given this 220v 2HP Hayward superpump, but I can only use a 110v pump. The guy told me it "can easily be changed to 110volts by movining 2 wires and changing the plug"

Does anyone know if this is true? What would the effective HP be after downgrading it to 110v?

Thanks
    Tony

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes, it can be setup for use on a 115 volt line, but you are going to need a 30 amp circuit with appropriately sized wires. There should be a plate on the motor showing how to set the jumpers for the correct voltage.

14. Back To Top    #14

Can someone tell me the recommended size sand filter for my pool?
    I have a 20x40 inground pool (roughly 35,000 gals). I have a 1.5 HP Hayward pump. Im trying to decide which size sand filter I need while looking at the Hayward pro series choices.
    20" – 200 lbs.
    24" – 300 lbs.
    30" – 500 lbs.
    36" – 700 lbs.

Thanks,
    Tony

15. Back To Top    #15

I would go for the 300 lb filter at the minimum, but the 500 lb filter would be better. Larger filters mean less frequent backwashing and more efficient operation.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by spishex
    The biggest issue I see with the S-240 is cracks in the top half of the housing. Once that's shot, it's not worth replacing (costs almost as much as a new filter). Check for any hairline fractures, particularly around and connections (dome threads, bolt holes, etc.).
    I have the same filter and we have water dribbling out from underneath the dome. We changed the o-ring but water is still leaking. I did notice some hairline cracks on the dome threads. Do you know if there's anyway to seal them (even if only temporary), perhaps with a silicone caulk?
    IG 12' x 39' - 20k Gallons - Vinyl Lined - StaRite Cristal-Flo II 26" Sand Filter - Hayward SuperPump 1 hp - Dolphin Dynamic autocleaner - Lochinvar Energyrite gas heater - Aqua Rite SWCG T-15 - TF100 Test Kit - Skimlite Duallly 9016 pole (great pole)