Booster Pump Seal Leak After Motor Replacement

Apr 17, 2016
Houston, TX
I replaced my 3/4 HP Polaris booster pump motor with a B625 A.O. Smith and ordered/used the Go-Kit 71V-9 for the seal and O-ring replacements. When I lined the pump back up, there was a large continuous leak from the seal area. Mind you, the booster pump was not even running. The leak was from the main pump pressure to the booster impeller/volute. I checked the seal installation and it seemed to be correct; however, the leak is large and the booster pump is not yet usable.

What did I do wrong? It's my 1st time to replace a motor/seals/O-rings; but I'm usually pretty good with repairs.

Thanks

Exactly where is it leaking? If it is leaking out of the motor shaft penetration point, then that would be the seal. Anywhere else would be a gasket/o-ring leak. The seals are a bit tricky to install correctly. They must be seated in the correct direction and avoid touching the surfaces.

Mark,

Thanks for the reply!

It's coming out of the shaft area right around where the impeller is located. It must be the seal. The only instruction that I had was YT video; but, it seemed straight forward. Is there a secret to the seal installation? Can the seal faces get wet and be reused? Is there a good tutorial for the seal replacement?

Thanks again

I'm going to pull it apart this week and recheck the seal installation direction. The spring-y seal may be installed backwards. The impeller seal really only goes in one way; but, I'll check that one, also. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks

The carbon surface always faces the ceramic (both rubber surfaces face outward) but as a unit, sometimes it can be installed backwards and still look right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.