Bleach vs vinyl liner

May 4, 2009
Lancaster, PA
Hi I am new to this site. I have a 12x24 oval, 7,400 gal AG, 1.5 hp Pentair filter system with Nature 2 system. This set up is meant to be low chlorine. My problem is no FC. My TC is 4.2 ppm. I asked my pool guy about using household bleach to try and "unlock" the CC and he said that household bleach is bad for the vinyl liner. Is there any truth to this or he is trying to keep my buy his chemicals? Any other ideas to raise my FC and lower my TC levels?

Thanks
Scott

He wants you to buy his chemicals.

Read this recent thread, it has lots of clues as to what is going on with your pool, and there are handy links as well, for futher reading. ITs all relative to your situation.

There is no truth that bleach hurts a vinyl liner. Bleach is chlorine. More damage can be done by using trichlor tablets that cause low PH conditions, which is terrible for a vinyl liner.

After you read that thread, if you would like assistance on yours we'd be happy to help. :wink:

Don't let the PB scare you.. mine tried to do the same thing. This is my second year on BBB. No issues yet. My liner is new.. so I would easily know if bleach was fading it. :)

momadmak said:
Hi I am new to this site. I have a 12x24 oval, 7,400 gal AG, 1.5 hp Pentair filter system with Nature 2 system. This set up is meant to be low chlorine. My problem is no FC. My TC is 4.2 ppm. I asked my pool guy about using household bleach to try and "unlock" the CC and he said that household bleach is bad for the vinyl liner. Is there any truth to this or he is trying to keep my buy his chemicals? Any other ideas to raise my FC and lower my TC levels?

Thanks
Scott

Scott, Yes it is true...if you poor the bleach directly down the side of your pool with the pump off and it is allowed to sink right onto the liner. I have been using bleach, 10% liquid Chlorine and trichlor pucks for the past year...The only think that has damaged my liner is the puck that fell out of the floater when I pulled it out of the pool and I could not get it off the bottom fast enough. The bleach or liquid did absolutely nothing...if you pour in bleach do so right in front of your return with the pump running. It will circulate the bleach away from the liner and keep it from damaging it. Don't let PB fool ya...his chemicals are probably worse for your pool then the bleach could ever be.

Beave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.