So I almost "gassed" myself today

bradj

Jan 19, 2016
TX
Somewhere in the Pool school It might be posted but I learned that pouring muratic acid into a cup that just had bleach in it creates chlorine gas and will hit you like a Mac truck if inhaled...

Sorry to hear that.

Many people don't pour chemicals into secondary containers but just dump straight from the containers and make decent approximations to amounts needed.

I do measure in secondary containers but I always use separate measuring cups for acids versus chlorine. I also fully rinse my measuring cups with pool water after pouring chemicals so that there is no residue left behind.

If you must measure & pour, then use separate measuring containers.

Don't even store that MA bottle near bleach. The lid of the MA is made so it vents and it can cause things nearby to rust or get funky.

Skippy keeps our MA in a lock box outside behind the pool equipment, and the liquid chlorine in the pool shed.

I hate MA fumes. I was trying to be so careful. I decided to be "smart" and set my bucket on the shelf of 6 inch water to avoid "spills." I filled my bucket with pool water and then poured in the MA. I looked down since I'm over it. About that time the vapor rose up. Crazily I got a whiff as I breathed. OMG. I jumped and held my breath. I still can feel where it hit my esophagus. Long story short: let hubby do the MA. Don't stand over and look down and wear protective gear. It is really caustic. I too have ours in a locked all plastic cabinet. It is on the deck, but we are going to move it to the side of the house in the shade this summer to get it off the deck. I don't want it too close to anything because of the venting. Ok. I guess I've made my point about not being too careful with MA. [emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always considered myself careful with MA...

I even go so far as to use a small screwdriver to remove the protective foil from a new bottle. I thought this was a good idea, then realized no amount of rinsing in pool water (or tap water, for that matter) would prevent the acid from doing what it does to the screwdriver. I now have a screwdriver handle attached to about 2/3 of a rusty, pitted shaft. :D

If it'll do that to chromium-plated steel, just imagine what it'll do to your lungs and eyes.

I learned the hard way not to store open MA containers indoors. My pool equip is in a room off my closet, and I unfortunately put my MA bottles in there, which caused MA gas to go through the garage and rust any exposed metal it could find.

I even go so far as to use a small screwdriver to remove the protective foil from a new bottle. I thought this was a good idea, then realized no amount of rinsing in pool water (or tap water, for that matter) would prevent the acid from doing what it does to the screwdriver. I now have a screwdriver handle attached to about 2/3 of a rusty, pitted shaft. :D

If it'll do that to chromium-plated steel, just imagine what it'll do to your lungs and eyes.

I use a plastic knife from Wendy's to get the foil out of the MA bottle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I use my fingers. It never has hurt a thing.

If it will do THAT to a metal screw driver WHY would you even take the chance with your FINGER?? OUCH! I have a plastic knife just for this job. I also have a plastic measuring cup that is stored with and used ONLY for MA.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.