Alge in hoses & pump

Sep 26, 2015
Friendswood Tx
I've drained and scrubbed the pool after algae took over over the winter. The water is clear ( no chemicals yet) and is still filling. However, I just noticed algae is in the hoses and pump. Do I need to clean these with bleach solution before running the pump? If algae is in the hoses or pump, will my new water start the whole algae over?

Thanks!

No. You can kill the algae with chlorine but you want to get some in your pool right away. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......it's a good place to begin.

Hello Ashley. Of course Dave is right. But you might also consider brushing-up now on the SLAM link below in my sig..... just in case you need it. With algae already in the some of the lines, it may very-well try to make a home in that new body of water. The sooner you can hit HEB or Wal-Mart for a few gallons of bleach the better. The generic Bravo or Great Value work just fine. Stick close to the other two links below (Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart) since those tell you exactly what you need. Best of luck today.

Thanks. From what I've gathered on your site, I should (1) get my PH correct. Wait 30 minutes. (2) Add stabilizer to be about 30 (with an end goal of 50). Wait 2 hours and then (3) begin adding the bleach. All this time the pump is running. Is this correct?
We put the pool up in July last summer and had to drain it 3 times b/c of CYA getting over 100. I relied on the pool supply company - I do NOT want to go back there again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.