Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: The fire ant queens are swarming again...

1. Back To Top    #1

The fire ant queens are swarming again...

...and they are all in my pool. Hundreds of them. Ugh. I'm out gleefully kicking the stragglers crawling around the deck into the water to DROWN. I hate fire ants. Arrghhh...glad when this is over, but happy to kill my share before they make their evil little mounds.
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The fire ant queens are swarming again...

Amdro is your friend.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

3. Back To Top    #3

LOL, Ohm_Boy.....you ain't kidding!! We do "search and destroy" missions constantly down here..grrr...I was so happy to be pushing a ton of them into the skimmers...Buh bye, evil ankle biters!
    7,000 gal. IG gunite, SWG, PebbleSheen interior finish-Aqua Blue, 8' vanishing edge raised 16-jet overspill spa, 2 12" waterfalls, tan shelf with bubbler.
    Pentair equipment: Easy Touch 8, Intellichlor IC-40, Intelliflo VF 3050, 2.5 hp Whisperflo spa pump, 1 hp Whisperflo water feature pump, Quad 100 DE filter, Master Temp 400 heater, Legend Platinum Cleaner (3/4 hp pump). Autofill, TF-100 Test Kit w/salt and borate strips.

Pisces Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

Thankfully they haven't made their way this far north yet, but it's just a matter of time. I actually saw my first ant mound a month or so ago while I was in Jackson, MS for work. The mound had a dead mockingbird lying on top of it - figured the mockingbird tried to eat some ants, and ended up the main course itself.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

5. Back To Top    #5

With all the heavy rains we've been getting, that really pushes the ants up to the surface to create mounds.
    WetEdge Satin Matrix, 16K gallon, Pentair NSP-60 DE filter, Pac Fab Challenger, 2HP pump, BBB, Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

Next is the love bugs

I like washing my car but every day????
    30x18 inground plaster/pebble with spa
    Hayward cartridge filter C751 1.5 hp pump
    In line tablet chlorinator
    Heat pump heater
    Aqua Logic wireless controls

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInTN
    Thankfully they haven't made their way this far north yet, but it's just a matter of time. I actually saw my first ant mound a month or so ago while I was in Jackson, MS for work. The mound had a dead mockingbird lying on top of it - figured the mockingbird tried to eat some ants, and ended up the main course itself.
    Gulp!! Oh, I don't doubt that at all...they're VICIOUS as well as evil! Poor mockingbird...got much more than he bargained for. Mike...unfortunately, I guess it's inevitable they'll migrate, but just MAYBE not...they may not like the cold that much!!

Pisces Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Sammm and Coastal...no kidding, right? Ugh. We need the rain but not the ants. And LOVE BUGS?!! Who invented THOSE things? I actually saw some yesterday too...flying around, doing the tango...so I kicked some of THEM in the pool, too! Sheesh...lemme get out the Pam and spray the front of the car now....

Pisces Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah Mike, enjoy it while it lasts. Once they get there, you will long for the old days of being ant-free.

It's sad, on our ranch property, we used to have tons of quail and horned lizards. About 5 years ago, I began seeing the fire ants out there at about the same time that I saw the quail and horned lizard populations waning. I can only surmise that these are directly related. With quail being ground nesting birds, it would only make sense that they would suffer. Horned lizards exist on a diet of harvester ants. A biologist told me that they can't handle the venom from the fire ant though and that it kills them. Breaks my heart.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Yeah Mike, enjoy it while it lasts. Once they get there, you will long for the old days of being ant-free.

It's sad, on our ranch property, we used to have tons of quail and horned lizards. About 5 years ago, I began seeing the fire ants out there at about the same time that I saw the quail and horned lizard populations waning. I can only surmise that these are directly related. With quail being ground nesting birds, it would only make sense that they would suffer. Horned lizards exist on a diet of harvester ants. A biologist told me that they can't handle the venom from the fire ant though and that it kills them. Breaks my heart.
    Yep, you surmise correctly. I read a report on fire ants one time that mentioned how once they became established in Georgia they decimated the quail population there. They're south of Nashville right now, and I live about 15 miles northeast, so it's just a matter of time.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"