Trying to open pool and ran into a huge leaking problem!!

Bowlin

May 4, 2007
Kannapolis, NC
Well at the end of last season I noticed my pool not holding water. Meaning I was adding water often, so I decided to let it lower as far down as it would, but I didn't get it taken care of. The water is now after all winter about 6 inches or maybe a lil more below skimmer. And below the return lines as well. But still above the light in the deep end of pool. So over winter cover fell in and loads of leafs and now I have a swamp with a bad leak. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I am thinking get as much debris out as I can, and then?????????????

27000 inground
guessing on dimensions
18' X 38'
Sand Filter

but possibly buying a cheap pump to clean this thing and keep on hand if happens to go green again.

You certainly want to try and remove the muck from the pool. Of course you can't begin a SLAM to clear the water until you can start circulation again when the water level is back to normal. But since the water drop has stopped, now "might" be the right time to try and repair the culprit. Sounds like the water dropping stopped at an odd place though (between fixtures). I wonder, since the light is the only thing still under, if the force of remaining pressure has anything to do with pushing water out of the light fixture? If you don't see anything obvious along the water line where the water stopped leaking, but it continued peaking past the skimmer and returns, then the light is the only thing that still seems possible. Possible that the light conduit cracked where it connects behind the bulb in the shell, and with more water (more pressure) it's able to push harder against the housing to result in a leak? Physics wasn't my strong suit, but that's the only thing that still sticks-out in my mind.

You might get to a point where you have to fill it up and SLAM to clear the water before anyone can safely enter the pool to repair it or investigate further. Let's see what others think as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.