Houston, we have a problem... First time pool opening...

Hey All,

Here's an update. Looks like a wetsuit will not be necessary. The water in the pool has found it's level just beyond the edge of the shallow end. The impact from the rock did indeed cause a nasty gash in the liner right where the wall meets the floor.

Would love some advice as to whether or not this is something that could be repaired with a large patch or if there's another approach to sealing this up and getting on with the swim season. Or am I looking at a disaster that only a new liner installation can fix?

Awaiting your responses.

IMG_3297_zpsyq25pqv8.jpg

IMG_3295_zps5wl7oagw.jpg

IMG_3294_zps97j3ecok.jpg

IMG_3296_zpsxd3t4wki.jpg

I say go for it! Really, what do you have to lose? SO much to gain...........Now think it through. I would do a patch going this way and another one going that way THEN a bigger patch to go over both of those THEN another even bigger one going over all of them.

Kim

From my experience with patches is eventually you need to redo them. Mine last 2 yrs. then crud starts working in from the edges. I keep my eye on them and replace. I think your hole from the Rock is in the worse possible place. The angle point of floor and wall. Like others said you can try and I wish you luck, it just looks to nasty and non pachable with the glue patch anyway. Maybe call a liner guy and see it he has a patch solution with heat.

Also keep in mind, liner people will be swamped in another few weeks when people remove there covers and see no water. I would call someone asap.

My sentiments exactly and I've done that already. After looking it over I called a guy who'll be here tomorrow afternoon. I'm willing to give the patch my best effort but wanted to see if maybe a pro had a solution.

I'll update after I meet with him.

What did the liner pro say? Can he fix the nasty hole? That would be good info. too know in case something happens to my liner. Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the news is not good. At least from the perspective of my wallet. Turns out that the location of the rip in the liner, where the wall meets the floor, and the fact that the liner has aged and become brittle precludes any type of successful repair. At least according to the pool guy that assessed the damage yesterday. I kinda knew, in my heart of hearts, that this would be the diagnosis. In fact, I was reluctant to even try to tread into the pool to attempt a repair of the damage for fear of my weight being enough that my feet would do even more damage to the liner. It'd almost be like walking on a very thin sheet of ice. The liner would likely crack under my feet.

Now, in addition to the liner replacement, there remains the question of the river rock coping that surrounds the pool. There are quite a few areas where the mortar securing the stones is in need of repair. Lots of places where the mortar is cracked or missing and some of the other stones are loose. In all honesty, the coping has always been a negative in my opinion. With our 11 year old twins and all their friends using the pool all summer long, it's always been a concern that they may slip or loosen and dislodge one of the stones, just like I did. If I'm being forced to replace the liner, this may be the best and only time to redo the coping with something more practical. Pool guy suggested replacing the stones with bull-nose coping. Cost: $3,500.

Another option is to just re-mortar and repair the stones that are already there, but my concern is that it might just end up being a patch and repair operation every season and then we'll be faced with the prospect of eventually redoing the coping but instead with a relatively new liner where we risk damage and who knows what.

I gotta say, I'm having a hard time deciding the best course of action regarding the coping. It seems like replacing the stone with bull-nose is the sensible thing to do but the prospect of eating mac 'n cheese 6 days a week for the next year to pay for it is, shall we say, hard to swallow.

Any decision will have to be made soon, though. We're looking at several weeks to complete this job and the coming Passover holiday is not gong to help expedite any work orders, I'm sure.

Yep, getting rid of the rock I would think is a good idea. The rest of the stone area looks great and with new coping it will really look nice. If you wanted too save a few bucks I bet that mortar will chip out pretty easy with a concrete chisel and a 3 lb. sledge, removing the rock yourself could cut down on the mac & cheese dinners.

It sounds like a tough decision. I think I would do my best to get rid of the rock if any way financially possible. It may save you in the long run. I like mac and cheese as much as the next guy, but not sure just how long I could live on it. :)

I cheated and watched the concrete video too.

Well, here's the link for others that may be interested. They got about 3/4 of the way done when the sky opened up and they had to cover it up and quit. Hopefully tomorrow they can get the bullnose coping finished. So far I'm happy with the manner in which they're doing the work. Professional and competent.

First stage concrete - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.