Infloor cleaner any benefit with VSP/2 Speed pump?

Tul9033

Mar 31, 2016
NE OK
My pool build is getting ready to be under way. It will have a Paramount infloor cleaning system and the PB has spec'd a 2 HP single speed Jandy Stealth pump. He rationalizes the single speed pump by saying that the infloor won't be of any use at lower RPM's/flow rate, which makes sense. However, I think I am going to ask for the 2 speed pump to filter and chlorinate the pool at the lower speed (SWCG). The pool is ~13K gal, River-Rok, DE, RS pool controller, 400K BTU heater, 2 tanning ledge bubblers, and 2 small deck jets.
They use all Jandy equipment so I am pretty much locked into the Jandy brand.
Thoughts on going single or 2 speed Stealth pump for this setup? I'm thinking maybe a 4 hour run time at full speed for the infloor and maybe 4 hours at 1/2 speed for filter and SWCG. I think the RS controller is capable of split run time setup.

They have a point that the floor system will not work correctly on lower speeds. Honestly, I would skip the floor system, get a smaller 2 speed or VS pump and a robot.

If you keep the floor system, I would still get a 2 speed or VS pump because like you said, you could circulate at lower speed for the SWG. The VS might allow you to dial in a lower speed where the floor works. I would suggest having a separate return loop to wall returns that can be selected by a valve.

Thanks for your reply. I am pretty much sold on the infloor for a few reasons. First, I hate having to pull a robot or swim around it. Next the heating and water distribution through the floor just makes sense to me.
What is your reasoning for the wall returns?
Thanks again.

For when the in floor breaks you still have a way to send the water back. Or when swimming with the pump on so you do not kick the pop ups. .. had that set up at previous house.

I think you want at least a two speed if not a VS pump. I have a VS pump and run at least three different speeds programmed on a daily basis. A couple hours early am for the infloor to clean it up, a lower speed for filtration and the SWG, then to a very low speed just for extra filtration (1,000 rpm @ 100 watts). If heat is called for and available my solar system takes over and ramps up to a seperate speed set just for that. So most days it actually runs at least four different speeds.

Most of the time my pump is drawing 300 watts or less vs my old single speed that took 2,800 watts any time it was on. Even on the higher speed for the infloor it draws 1400 watts, half the old pump. That's why no one wants a single speed any longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.