When to open above ground pool in Illinois

I'm really glad to hear so many in similar climates are opening their pools too. Nobody around me opens their pool this early (non of them use TFP). They all think I'm nuts for opening the pool so early. They wait until Memorial Day weekend and by then, they open up a swamp. My pool has never even been remotely green.

I reconnected all of my plumbing last night, with the exception of one union which just doesn't seem to want to thread together. I am assuming damaged threads so may just replace that one.

Anyway, water temp was 59 degrees, but I was really surprised to test my water and see that the FC level was at 6.5. That is by far the highest figure I have opened to. Water is still totally clear so time to toss in the hose and get it filling!

We are open. Used the hot tub but must a have a leak somewhere. We lost about three inches in the tub after an hour and a half. Had a bad plug in the floor drain I thought we fixed last year. It's always something.

Really close to me! I live right off Randall. Stop by TSiGirl, next time you visit! Just PM me. You are welcome!

Everyone in our latitiude should be open. I am using my robot to mix the water until I can get the hubby to open the plumbing. If I didn't have an auto-cover to keep the sun off, I would be in big trouble. Everyone else, get open and send nags my hubby's way! !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the weather turning back to spring like and my FC levels still surprisingly high the urgency left me. I am not totally open yet, but plan to be by Friday when it is supposed to be 80 and sunny. Still have a fair amount of water on my winter cover that needs draining (i.e. set up a siphon and then let it go overnight) and then need to top off the last 8 inches or so in the pool. New union to replace the presumably damaged thread one mentioned above should arrive today - thanks Amazon - even one less reason to go to the pool store!

I need to make a run to the great escape for four cases :D. I use them every year for 12.5% shock at 10 bucks for four gallons. They have a nice show room too.

Jumping in to an older thread here. I'm also NW of Chicago. We're going to be out of town for a week over Memorial Day, so I'm planning on waiting until then to open. If I were to get a sample of water and test chlorine, could I add more bleach if required, or would lack of circulation whiten liner?

If it were me.. I would only add when there is circulation.. and I have seen folks here get very creative when there is lack of..like vigorous brushing?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.