Heater setup

Apr 15, 2016
Tempe, AZ
I'm looking to invest in a pool and spa heater, I've settled on the big RayPak 406k btu (model:pR406AEP). I want to pair it with both the pool and spa (seperate pumps, filters, etc). I understand the plumbing aspects with the needed diverters and check valves. I'm also trying to future proof for possible automation in the future.

My question is regarding the operation of the heater with two different types of pumps. The pool has a new Intelliflo VS. The spa has an old pump with a 1 1/2 hp single speed motor (brand unknown but likely a Sta-Rite product since that is the filter brand).

For the pool, is it acceptable to leave the heater "on" all the time (i.e ready to heat) and just set the run times on the Intelliflo. So when the pump does come on, the heater will heat when necessary.

With the spa, I would guess the heating would be more "on-demand" so we'd just switch the diverters to the spa side, click the "spa" button on the heater and start the pump. Then switch it back when done.

Is there anything wrong with this setup? I've seen information about a "fireman's switch" on other heaters so that the heater shuts down before the pump, but the Raypak barely references one so it wouldn't appear necessary. I'm guessing this is because there is no blower in this model?

Thanks!

Does the spa spill over into the pool? If so, get rid of one of the pumps and plumb everything thru one pump. A lot less of a headache than trying to run automation for valves to change with whichever pump is running and what you want to heat.

No spillover, they are totally independent systems. I did map out a plan to share the equipment for an easier plumb, but then I definitely need automation to flip back and forth at least once a day to make sure the spa gets filtered. Outside of having two heaters, I think I'm going to have to use diverters somewhere. I was leaning towards a heat pump for the pool and a smaller propane one for the spa, but my main breaker panel doesn't have room for an extra breaker. So that would require a new main panel, pulling more wire (if not having to bury a new line), likely doubling the cost of the project.

Unless I swap out the three 220V 20AMP (pool pump, spa pump and spa blower) and install two or three GFCI 220V 60-80AMP breakers and pull new wire to the pad. Then put in a Load Center at the pad and run the pumps and blower from the load center. Not sure if the return on investment would be there for all that to get the Heat Pump instead.

The spa has a current (broken) 50k btu heater. I figured if I'm going to replace it I'd spend a few more bucks get a big one and try to extend pool season in Phoenix a few months on either end too. I personally don't mind the manual aspect of it, but not sure how the rest of the household will adapt. I know it's only three valves and a button to push, but ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.