Restoring or painting yellowed plastic wall fittings in pool?

Aug 24, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hi all. I have a 23 year old saltwater gunite pool. The original embedded ABS/PVC wall fittings for the lights and return lines have yellowed over time from UV light exposure and cannot be easily replaced without tearing out the surrounding gunite. I've been reading that the discoloration is due to bromine used in manufacturing of ABS and PVC plastics reacting with sunlight over a long time. Over time the white plastic will turn yellowish brown.

The pool is drained for maintenance right now and I was wondering if anyone has ever prepped and spray painted embedded wall fittings with Krylon "Fusion for Plastic" spray paint? This paint claims to be made specifically for plastic and that it binds at the molecular level with hard plastics such as ABS or PVC and will not chip off after 7 days cure time. This sounds like it may be a good method of restoring the fittings to a nice white appearance if the Krylon Fusion paint really works as advertised.

Has anyone ever tried painting the plastic pool wall fittings, and does it work?

Kevin

I have use Krylon on yellowed plastic vinyl of an RV and it has held up in direct sun for 4 years no flaking or yellowing, no experience submerging it in water though. As good as it works if you can replace them I would, they are not all that expensive and it will be less work with assured results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.