Simple Pool/Spa/Heater Control

Apr 15, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Hi-
I've got a fairly standard setup. Pool and spa (separate pumps and filters, no overflow) that share a single heater which I'm going to upgrade to a new one. I'm looking for a low-cost solution (other than manual) to automate the heating of pool and spa. Is there a heater that has some timing/control built-in?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the heater start the pump and check the temperature of the pool and/or spa every hour or so, and if needed run the pump and heater until temperature is met outside of the regular filtering time(s).

I'm okay if it can only do either pool or spa, so long as I can override to heat the other manually. I'd likely have the pool heated regularly spring/fall, and the spa heated regularly winter. I'm in Phoenix if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to avoid the $1000+ automation space as it seems like overkill for my needs.

Is there anything simple out there that can do this task? I don't need light control or anything else that the big packages offer.

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP :)

There are many options but I also wanted a simple controller and went with Intermatic.. they have a complete system for 800 or so.. Pool Spa Supplies | Intermatic - Ctrl, Intermatic Multi-Wave PE35065RC, ECS Plus, 80A, w/Remote - PE35065RC

You may also be able to just get the controller (Intermatic PE653RC) like I have and then add the solar/heater/spa controller that you would need..
Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System for Variable Speed and Two-Speed Pumps - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com

hope this helps

Thanks for the info cowboycasey.

I'm thinking I'll just do the old manual dance for now. Any advice for what I should or should not do with the manual setup knowing my plan is to add automation at a future date? I'm going with Jandy valves and diverters so I can add actuators later. I'm getting a Raypak Digital Propane heater which should be controllable from most automation systems. Any other gotchas that I should be wary of?

Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.