Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
I have a Hayward Pro Grid DE-6020 60 sq ft DE filter. The top half of the shell has a tiny crack. To replace just that part is about $300. I've always been satisfied with the filter and the bottom half of the shell was replaced a couple years ago. The grids were all replaced last year. So for the $300, in effect, I would have a relatively new 60 sq ft filter. A new like one is about $700. It looks like a comparable cartridge filter is over $1,000.

Most of my neighbors are using cartridge filters and seem to be happy with them. Also it would mean less loss of chemicals and water. So I think if I were starting from scratch, I would consider cartridge. My dilemma is repair or replace, and if replace, DE or cartridge, and if cartridge, which brand and model.

My current inclination is just repair, no plumbing, and cheapest option.

Suggestions or comments welcomed.

A cartridge filter is probably a good option since there aren't a lot of trees dropping debris in the pool. I am happy with my Pentair C&C520 from a functionality standpoint. It isn't great with all the trees we have dropping stuff non-stop in our pool. Yeah, wow, it is 900 bucks at sunplay. I think I'd go with the $300 repair.

I don't know how long these plastic filter shells are supposed to last in this blazing desert sun, but I guess I will just replace the top half and let it go at that. It's just when you are spending at or near 1/2 the cost of an item to repair, you must really consider replacement as an option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.