Air in pump strainer/Low pressure

Apr 15, 2016
Titusville, FL
Have an older inground pool with a Pentair cartridge filter and Hayward pump Power flow LX. Getting constant air in the basket and very low pressure. 2 to 3lbs max. Guess I'm looking for guidance as to where I should start. AT one time it did work well and remember close to 15lbs with this setup. Over the years it's become worse and now barely moves water. It does not hold prime for more then day. Thanks in adavnce!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Definitely a suction side leak.

If isolating the suction line had not effect, then your leak must be between the valves and the pump impeller ... I am guessing the pump lid or maybe drain screw?
Take a look at this: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

I greased the lid and really looked for leaks. Could it possibly be the seal between the pump and basket on the Haywood?

Managed to break lower drain plug off reinstalling it to check o-ring. It did look good and was tight. I'm going to pull it out and set on work bench to repair. Would like to inspect and or clean impeller since I'm going to bench it.Is there any links in taking this pump apart?? I searched first. Thanks!!

Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp

Is there any links in taking this pump apart??
I don't have a link but I am going to strongly encopurage you to look elsewhere first. About the only place a suction leek can occur at the pump is the drain plugs and the pump basket lid. If those are all firm (not too tight) then your source of the air is somewhere in FRONT of that (towards the pool).....not behind it.(towards the filter)

Water level up high enough? All the valves been checked for air leaks? (sometimes you can hear them if the pump is off)

I don't have a link but I am going to strongly encopurage you to look elsewhere first. About the only place a suction leek can occur at the pump is the drain plugs and the pump basket lid. If those are all firm (not too tight) then your source of the air is somewhere in FRONT of that (towards the pool).....not behind it.(towards the filter)

Water level up high enough? All the valves been checked for air leaks? (sometimes you can hear them if the pump is off)

Thank you Dave, found one on youtube.

Checked all the valves, water level is actually too high from the rain we have been getting but also looked in skimmer to make sure of no vortech. I broke the drain plug off putting it back in so out it came. Have screw type unions so it's pretty easy to come out and yes I double checked those connections and o-rings. Going to pressure test pump disconnected from pool just to make sure. O-rings and impeller looked new during inspection. Thanks for your help!

All seals in pump check out fine. Pressurized pump from pressure side installed and found no leaks in pvc or union, had skimmer and drain closed. Whats going on?? OMG this is driving me insane. The pump won't prime itself and barely makes 1lb of pressure after I get it primed with garden hose. Basket is not even filling up halfway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, impeller was tight. Believe it or not the check valve was the issue. It was located between the pump and filter and one of the terrible ones as described on here. Removed it, primed pump again and bam! OK now there is no check valve and looking at some diagrams on Google it looks like it should be placed after the filter and one of the type described on here. Is that correct? Will I need one? Thanks!

That's an unusual spot for a check valve. Was it working?. I would only put a check valve in if I couldn't hold prime (you seem to have fixed that, but I'm not sure how). You are better off without it. If you decide you have to have one, put it in front of the pump, between the pump and the suction lines coming in.

That's an unusual spot for a check valve. Was it working?. I would only put a check valve in if I couldn't hold prime (you seem to have fixed that, but I'm not sure how). You are better off without it. If you decide you have to have one, put it in front of the pump, between the pump and the suction lines coming in.

Totally agree and wasn't in control of this residence for 5 or so years. I'm really just glad to have pressure again and look forward to the info on this sight!! Once again a huge thanks!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.