Newbie Balancing Spa Water

Apr 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I got my test kit a couple days ago and have been focusing on my pool (New Home Owner - Green Pool) but now I'm ready to get control of my spa too (they are separate). We replaced the spa water about a month ago and have up to now only used dichlor and ph down (sodium bisulphate). The spa is always covered when not in use.

I tested my spa water with my test kit for the first time this morning and made a few adjustments.

FC - 0
CC - didn't test
pH - 8+
CYA - 50
TA - 90
CH - 325

Per pool math, with the jets running I added 1/8 cup of 10% bleach and about 3oz of pH down (disolved first) waiting about 20 minutes between chemicals and another 20 minutes to mix before testing again.

FC - 3
CC - 0.5
pH - 8+

I added another 3oz of pH down and retested after 20 minutes.

pH - 7.8

At that point I had to leave for work. Based on what I read in How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?), It looks like I need to continue making adjustments with the following targets:

FC - target 6
pH - target 7.5
TA - target 50 (or the point pH doesn't drift up as fast)

To lower TA, I lower pH to 7 using the pH down, and running the jets will raise it back up right? And i just keep repeating that cycle until pH doesn't rise as fast?

Am I on the right track?

your all over it :) your CYA is a little high for a spa but as long as you know what it is and bring your FC up to match your good.. With that said in a spa most people like a lower fc to start and then dose afterward for bather waist... try FC 4 to start and go from there..

PH: I would use MA just like your pool, it does not add anything else like the ph down is. You are correct, using the jets will bring the ph back up quicker..

hope that helps :)

Thanks, I've been testing the water every night or two and spent another night working the pH and TA down. I still haven't seen a pH lower than 7.7 but the TA came down so it must be working. Here are tonight's numbers:

FC: 3.5
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.8
TA: 60

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.