SLAMing AGAIN!

swreeder70

Mar 15, 2016
Wimberley, TX
I posted up a while ago with some issues on rising PH and needing to SLAM. After getting my PH issues straightened out I needed to SLAM due to a high CC count. I was probably 95% through the slam process, but got called out of town on business and had to assume that my overnight test would be good. Apparently that was WRONG!

I came home to a clear pool, but a very strong ammonia smell and a FC of 1 and a CC of 3.5

So I started my SLAM again three days ago. After first dose of Chlorine per pool Math my FC dropped down to 3 and my CC was at 6. Since then I have been adding more bleach and checking every two hours up until I go to bed and brushing 3 times a day

This AM my numbers are as follows:
FC 31
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 80

My question is during this entire process I can still smell chloramines. Is this normal? Do I possibly have an ammonia problem? Digging back through my winter testing records I noticed that my FC did hit zero (wife tested and didn't tell me, she just added more bleach) and my CYA dropped from 50 to 30.

It's normal. If you had ammonia you would not be able to maintain any CYA or FC unless you specifically treated for it. Believe me, you would have known it. I think you're just expelling a lot of combined chlorine at the moment. Also, don't bother testing pH anymore until after the SLAM. :)

Thanks! In my 18 years of owning a vinyl pool I got to know it very well by sight, smell and sound. SLAMS were but once a year on opening and things went relatively smooth.

My new pool is half way across the country, open all year and has a pebble tec finish, I'm still in the honey moon phase and learning something new each week.

I might suggest that just to be on the safe side, if you haven't done it already, please double check the effects (expected CYA increase) of adding those 4 tabs to your feeder. That row on the Poolmath calculator towards the bottom (Effects of Adding Chemicals) will tell you the side effects based on your size pool. You might add more than just 10 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.