Plaster Repair

evanwellens

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Stony Point, NY
Our gunite pool is around 10 years old and the previous years winter was bitter and I believe caused some plaster to delam in small areas. I can tap to hear the hollow vs solid spots and it appears to be very localized. While I'm comfortable doing basic masonary repairs , like replacing coping etc.. I'm unsure what product to use to repair such an area. I see something called E-Z Patch , but it appears to only come in white. That would stand out like a soar thumb against out blue plaster. Any advice or materials , techniques ? Thx !!!

Is it possible to take a picture of the affected area?

I may ask the mods to move this thread to a different sub-forum so that it gets better visibility. "The Deep End" sub-forum is really more for wonky-nerdy pool chemistry stuff and your question is definitely important and probably more construction oriented.

FYI, I used the EZ Patch years ago where I dug out some plater where rusted rebar had created rust staining. I mixed in some colored cement to match the grayish plaster color. Worked for about two years but then reverted back to its original white color. Except for the change in color, it worked well (sorta like asking Mrs. Lincoln, "Except for the shooting, how did you like the play?").

Will do so this weekend when I get the cover off.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, I used the EZ Patch years ago where I dug out some plater where rusted rebar had created rust staining. I mixed in some colored cement to match the grayish plaster color. Worked for about two years but then reverted back to its original white color. Except for the change in color, it worked well (sorta like asking Mrs. Lincoln, "Except for the shooting, how did you like the play?").

Hmm that was plan A, I reached out to the manufacturer and it was their suggestion ... Do you know what they use to color plaster when they originally plaster a pool ? In hind site would you use another product ?

I was always a little baffled by the EZ Patch product's one color (white) option (as if we all have white plaster pools). Surprising myopic thinking IMO.

A lot of the cementious product color additives are going to be in the earth tones - not so good for pool finish colors.

I would be hesitant about using any kind of a liquid coloring agent that one might find at a big box store as that typically only works with cured concrete/cement (e.g, a color dye or stain product).

Probably best to reach out to a local PB for suggestions or hope someone here will post.

I was always a little baffled by the EZ Patch product's one color (white) option (as if we all have white plaster pools). Surprising myopic thinking IMO.

A lot of the cementious product color additives are going to be in the earth tones - not so good for pool finish colors.

I would be hesitant about using any kind of a liquid coloring agent that one might find at a big box store as that typically only works with cured concrete/cement (e.g, a color dye or stain product).

Probably best to reach out to a local PB for suggestions or hope someone here will post.

Agreed , I was searching everywhere for "not white"... I did find this. It's doesn't need to be a perfect match , just better than re-plastering the whole pool. I assume by PB , pool biz ? We finally found someone we can trust , now he's in med school , so we're on our own again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.