Repair crumbling spa step - pebble tech

Apr 14, 2016
Oakley, CA
I have a step in my spa that had a crack in the pebble tech, which I thought was going to be a simple patch. After taking a chisel to the step, much to my dismay, part of the step came a crumbling down. The step is curved and I need to repair it before I can put new pebble tech on it. I am not sure what to use to repair it or exactly how to proceed. I have a couple of ideas, but I would really like to here some opinions before I go ahead and do something stupid. I have attached a couple of pictures to show you what I am up against.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20160414_170009109.jpg
    IMG_20160414_170009109.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20160414_165959526.jpg
    IMG_20160414_165959526.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 125
Welcome to TFP!

Please add your state or country to your location in your profile so that it shows up over there <---. Climate is a very important factor influencing advice for maintaining pools. How long has the pool been drained?

Is that dirt under there?

Ok pebble tec is a proprietary product so if you are going to match what you have you need to call a pebble tec installer to do the work. That's Aqua Gunite in Livermore or Adams Pool solutions in Pleasanton.

It looks like your underlying gunite is only about 4 inches thick and I see no rebar. That could be a serious problem. I would need to get down and see what rebar there is and how that shell is constructed. I would like to tie to rebar. As for a cement choice any high strength concrete will work. The issue isn't really the concrete but how you tie it in.

So I would first call one of the companies listed above and get a bid and an evaluation. You are going to need one of them to do the final finish work if you want it to match.

Is that dirt under there?

Ok pebble tec is a proprietary product so if you are going to match what you have you need to call a pebble tec installer to do the work. That's Aqua Gunite in Livermore or Adams Pool solutions in Pleasanton.

It looks like your underlying gunite is only about 4 inches thick and I see no rebar. That could be a serious problem. I would need to get down and see what rebar there is and how that shell is constructed. I would like to tie to rebar. As for a cement choice any high strength concrete will work. The issue isn't really the concrete but how you tie it in.

So I would first call one of the companies listed above and get a bid and an evaluation. You are going to need one of them to do the final finish work if you want it to match.

Thank you that is extremely helpful. I really appreciate it.

Happens all the time with pebble pools/spas.
058175a077bbcf91de0fcb49b852f091.jpg
cf5770e32d1439807dc76e48f3779958.jpg
9b2283b29440d9d96fe552d83ac69b01.jpg
e9a8ee4f6ba86bb768b4da80b6be00b4.jpg

Picture doesn't show the new rebar is set with epoxy. Many trade articles written on this happening fix is fairly simple. Cost usually $500-$700

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Happens all the time with pebble pools/spas.
058175a077bbcf91de0fcb49b852f091.jpg
cf5770e32d1439807dc76e48f3779958.jpg
9b2283b29440d9d96fe552d83ac69b01.jpg
e9a8ee4f6ba86bb768b4da80b6be00b4.jpg

Picture doesn't show the new rebar is set with epoxy. Many trade articles written on this happening fix is fairly simple. Cost usually $500-$700

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

Thank you. That's great. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words. This site is great. I am very happy that I found it. I am feeling pretty good about this fix at this point. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everyone has you on the right track here. Need to drill and epoxy new rebar, preferable into old rebar. Form new concrete step and replaster. Your climate isn't too hot and sunny, that is good. And it is only the spa, also good. But, spray down the pebble every day to keep it moist. A sprinkler with a hose timer is a good option.

From Pebbletec's website, Explore Pebble Technology International (PTI) Superior Quality Pool Finishesâ„¢ Pebble Tec
It is important to refill immediately after service/repair has been completed. Generally, this would be within a 24-hour period of draining the pool. However, if the finish is well bonded to the substrate, if the finish is frequently saturated (so that moisture is maintained within the finish) and if proper precautions are taken, the finish can withstand being drained for several days under optimum circumstances. This should only be attempted under the supervision of a PTI certified builder or authorized applicator.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.